How much reverb is too much ?

Wadi

May 1, 2004
Ultimate Metal
www.myspace.com
I always have the problem of using reverbs especially for vocals. How much is too much? And how upfront the vocals is too upfront in the mix? o_O

How do you guys roughly figure these out? :erk:

hi wadi and others,

what is your set up ?

in my last productions i used quite a lot of reverb because i don't like delays and i think you need something to give the vocals its own space!
but i don't like it when you hear that the vocals are too isolated from the rest - although i add a lot of reverb to the vocals i don't really want to hear it in the music it is more about feeling it! you have to be careful with the reverb level, in my case i use different reverbs for drums and for vocals (small room for drums, small or medium plate for vocals)!

vocals go this way in my set up:

recording with a focusrite penta preamp/compressor and an akg c3000, quite a lot of compression but not too much - i can't write it down, just compare as often as you can the solo vocs with compression and without!

the recorded vocs are routed to a bus with a bit of eq (lowcut and gaining a bit at nearly 1khz - depends on the singer), the tube simulation by antares with a light setting, and sometimes a deesser( depends on the singer, too) - this bus is routed to the next bus, where the final vocals end!
the reverb i receive from an effect send from the vocals tracks is routed to my final vocals bus!

so i have a bus just with reverb, one bus with dry vocals and both are routed to another bus with a limiter and so you can handle it quite good, i think!
important is the limiter on the main vocals - otherwise the reverb will be too up front the mix!

that is my way - please tell me, what you think of it!

bye
alex