How much would you charge?

Jace_Mereel

Freakame, Freakayou!
I'll be working with a guy to make an album cover for his upcoming cd. He told me to throw a price at him so we can really get started, but I've no clue what to charge this guy.

What's too high and what's not gonna rip me off for my work? Any ideas are appreciated, especially from those of you whom have dealt with this kind of thing.

well, it all depends on the quality of the work. if you can make something "omgzwows", since you aren't a professional band artist, i'd say around $50 - 75. it depends on the quality.

I'm just referring to what I'd go for. I'd go for a professional artist that would charge between $175 and $400 for a cover. Since you haven't done any CD covers (that I know of), it would be experimental. I'd pay $50.

guage his potential

alternatively, get a horribly low cut on the sales

alternatively again, pay attention to will. he bought a cover, i believe.

First of all take materials into account. How much will it cost you for paint, pencils, paper, etc. If you have all of this already, figure out how much it cost you and throw that into the equatiion.

Second, labor. How long is this going to take you. What is an hour out of your life worth. Multiply that by however many hours you spend on your piece.

Third, throw a few extra dollars on top of that so you actually make a profit.

Go Jewish on him. Start high and negotiate.

Now there's a brilliant idea.

Milk 'em for everything you can.
I have a friend that does art, and he was making some art for our band and he's an extremely talented artist, and he only charges 50 bucks, but hey do whatever you feel like I guess.

I dig up change from the couches and corners around the house every day and barely get enough to get a shitty pack of cigarettes.

Hail to being broke.

depends on experience.
I think you should price something fair and not high, since it is one of your first CD covers, and it is beneficial for your resume.
So I'd take a very simbolic price, based on the amount of hours you'll spend doing it.
If you'll spend 3 hours: charge $50-75
If you'll spend more: I say go high to the three digit price.

Depends on what he's going to do. If he's going to sell it, get a percentage of the sales.

I've done a few album covers, and it really depends on the amount of time it takes you, the materials, and how well known the band is. More well known, you take advantage of that.

First off, decide for yourself how much money you would regularly charge an hour for any sort of graphical designing. How much do YOU personally think your time is worth. Then, estimate the time it takes you, plus the amount of money for supplies. Then take into account the amount the person is looking to spend.

I always ask "Hhow much are you looking to spend?" first; although its known to be frowned upon in the professional world of graphics, it can easily decide on a more accurate approach to whether or not they've looked into other designers. Usually they'll lowball you if you know the prices in the market.

First above all though, make sure you have a price in mind. Go over your estimated time and supplies on a hourly wage, then shoot the price up another couple bucks.

Personally, I usually give them the best price possible, watch the market, and then do it for them for $25-50 cheaper than the lowest.

Man, you're lucky that people will actually pay you to make an album cover. :(

I'm not really sure if you should be paid $50-80 all at once....or if you should get a percentage...If you're going to get paid up front, just figure in the time you spent/cost per hour/materials...all of that.
A lot of artists I know charge about $10 an hour...some go over that.

I have found that people have a habit of taking a design and making a ton of money off of your hard work...So getting a percentage might be good if the band is reputable, and you know their merchandise will sell.

ah, dilemma.

I've done a few album covers, and it really depends on the amount of time it takes you, the materials, and how well known the band is. More well known, you take advantage of that.

First off, decide for yourself how much money you would regularly charge an hour for any sort of graphical designing. How much do YOU personally think your time is worth. Then, estimate the time it takes you, plus the amount of money for supplies. Then take into account the amount the person is looking to spend.

I always ask "Hhow much are you looking to spend?" first; although its known to be frowned upon in the professional world of graphics, it can easily decide on a more accurate approach to whether or not they've looked into other designers. Usually they'll lowball you if you know the prices in the market.

First above all though, make sure you have a price in mind. Go over your estimated time and supplies on a hourly wage, then shoot the price up another couple bucks.

Personally, I usually give them the best price possible, watch the market, and then do it for them for $25-50 cheaper than the lowest.

^ very true, my advice like anvil's is how well known the band is. Depending on how well known they are, depends on an average price discluding materials, time ect ect...