How to find transients on a bass guitar track

Uros

Sonic Incision
Jul 29, 2007
between sine waves
So I have this DI bass guitar track I wanna slip edit, but I can't find transients (I found some of them, but only small amount). I am using Cubase. Ofc, I tried using zooming and all that, even tried scrub tool, but to no avail. Track is just like thick line, and when I zoom in, nearly all lines are sort of even, it's hard to tell what is what. How to battle this, does someone have some sort of solution, some kind of transient finder or similar?
Does Reaper have some way of doing it? It would be of great help:kickass:
Cheers

Elastic audio sometimes helps me find bass transients, or there's a tab to transient feature. Not sure if it's available in reaper. Has the bass been limited to hell and back? That might be why all your transients are lost...

hahaha :)

No, no, it's not processed at all, it's a raw track. I used search function, so I see that there are also other guys with the same problem, and seems that noone has found the solution yet.

I have an idea, don't know if it will work but...

Compress the fuck out of it with a gigantic attack, and record it to a new track. You might be able to see the transients better and you could edit the original and compressed track at the same time.

Try an expander on the bass track that should help highlight the transients

www.ascapestudios.com

This is what you should do.

Duplicate the track and apply an expander to the dupe'd track (this will keep the transients and attenuate the rest of the signal, making it easier to edit). Group the two tracks and edit them together. When you're done, discard the track with the expander and mix the original (now edited) track as usual.

Duplicate the track and on the duplicate, high pass up to about 1K and boost 3k with a wide Q.

Works best with picked bass.

If you can't see it, I seriously doubt any plugin is going to help.

Post a screenshot? Even with softly fingered bass I've never had this problem (sometimes on quick fills, but trial and error sorts those out quickly).

might just be reaper, the long low-frequency wave forms are literally just that and it gets a little weird. zooming out makes them more visible sometimes. but yea, i agree, it is a little trickier identifying the perfect place to cut.

i've done it in elastic audio as well, works really well with x-form and protools does an atleast usable job of selecting the proper transients, if the bass player played right.

neat trick alert:

if you own a sansamp bass DI driver, here's a cool trick i invented:

plug the bass into the sansamp, and then plug both the parallel out from the sansamp and the colored DI out into two different preamps or whatever.

now on the sansamp, turn the bass all the way down and the treble/presence/drive up until your bass no longer sounds like a bass but now is now more or less a pickup trigger.

record both tracks simultaneously

group

and edit the one that looks like the NYSE. or kilimanjaro. or gary busey's heartagram reading. or his teeth, for that matter.

and before one of you asks "can't i just do this with the podfarm sansamp?"
NO. THAT'D BE STUPID.

SPL Attacker was free at some point. Put this on a duplicate track, crank the attack up (increasing attack) and lower the out vol to prevent clipping. Then render the track to a new file. Mute this track and group the clean and processed tracks. Transients should be much easier to detect now.