How to get a drummer pumped up?

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
TL;DR - WHAT DO YOU DO TO GET YOUR DRUMMERS PUMPED FOR TRACKING?

Been fooling around testing mic placement and moving shit around for a few days and at first I was happy with the results, then after a day and re-listening, I heard all kinds of stuff that I wanted to change.

Our drummer tracked 2 songs in about a 5-7 hour session. Then we decided to move some mics a bit. Yeah, kinda stupid, but anyway...he tracked MUCH tighter and smoother the first time around. Then after we started fresh, he had a bit of issues being as fluent.

Part of it may have been that we didnt have as much time yesterday as the previous session....but we ran through one song for a few hours, with only 2 or 3 punch-ins (I get scared punching in drums and possibly losing tails of hits by accident.)

Long story short: what do you guys do to get drummers pumped up and in the zone for tracking?

have them listen to Welcome to the jungle right before they track. :lol:

just tell him a lot of people will hear that he hits like a sissy...if he does.

:wave:

HAHA! he definitely doesn't hit like a sissy, he almost hits TOO hard if you know what I mean. He's gotten better with tom rolls/fills (before he really barely had any finesse and just pounded them to hell. He plays decently tight but just little parts here and there are a bit off....which I'm going to try and edit, but I'm no good at drum editing yet, and once I start trying to edit kick hits to the grid, they start to sound choppy and fucked up.

depends really.
I try and start off with positive encouragement, and then slowly bring the insults in.

I let them play and if they play like a sissy, ill show them a paper with big letters "COCHONES" which i have always near my desk. Nearly every musician starts laughing, relaxes and feels comfortable and plays "with cochones".

Works only, if your band has a good sense of humor, but i didnt meet a band, where the reaction wasnt positive.

I let them play and if they play like a sissy, ill show them a paper with big letters "COCHONES" which i have always near my desk. Nearly every musician starts laughing, relaxes and feels comfortable and plays "with cochones".

Works only, if your band has a good sense of humor, but i didnt meet a band, where the reaction wasnt positive.

You mean cojones, right? Is that the american-latino spelling or just phonological confusion?

OT try not to delete the first takes, they usually are more punchy and have more attitude. Drums is not playing the guitar, a lot of energy is required and you become tired after 2 hours so switch between songs rapidly and try to track bass or whatever between drum takes. Takes will be much more powerful. Rests are mandatory here. Drummer mind says no but that shouldn't be negotiable.

Cocaine.

No but seriously, I had a drummer who said he can't play unless he smokes some weed. He said he was addicted to weed and he would smoke a couple joints a day.

But our drummer now doesn't drink or do any drugs, which is a nice change. The only thing that motivates him is music.