How to get good vocalsound?

M.Lehto

Jun 25, 2002
What I mean is, do you guys record vocals, mono or stereo? What kind of reverb or delay are you using, damn, give me some numbers Any other tricks with compression etc? I just want to expand my knowledge about this, because no matter how good I manage to get everything else sound, vocals are always very hard to get right! And I record clean and harsh vocals, if that matters...

What are you using for a mic? Mic-pre? These two things matter big time. I record in mono cuz I only got one good mic. But even if I had more than one, I'd still record mono unless I wanted the sort of effect stereo recording gives. I've got no special set numbers for reverb or delay, etc. I just use what sounds good in the mix. Compression is a big deal too. I've got this built into my DAW. But having something like an RNC helps alot. As far as the settings, these always change with vocalist, room, etc.

Also, record clean and harsh vocals on separate tracks with different input levels. If you use the input levels for you clean vocals, when you start screaming you will generally read-line and get distortion.

Oh yeah, don't eat the mic either. The sweat spot on most mics is between 6-20 inches away. And I'm assuming you are using a pop sheild. If not, invest in one or make one out of a hanger and nylons er something.

BTW, what do you record on?

Here's a tip from a guy who actually records a damn good record:
I'm not gonna bother you with gear stuffs, like said frost giant, use a 150$ mic with a pop shield, made out of your mother's sexy wears...
Then you record the shit cleanly without effects, I suggest to record on a computer with cubase or some shit like that. Record mono, then copy and paste in two stereo tracks, you have then to put a slight little delay on the right track, it will give more HMM ! Power! Then use good plugins, that's what make the value of a recorder, the plugins to use are in the order:

-de-esser (use default settings for vocals)
-Compressor: tresh hold to minimum, then ratio at 80% of max
the attack and release at the minimum.
This should give enough power and embodiement.

-The preamp simulation: a little gain more than usual it will put... and an easier mixing of the signal if you're master instrument signal with drums are enough powerful.

Good luck boys!