How to make in "amp in the room sound" IR?

RiF

Dec 29, 2007
Germany
www.planet-goth.de
For noodling/practicing/composing/enjoying (not for recording) I like the "amp in the room sound" far more than a closed miked sound. But I am very restricted regarding volume, so I simply cannot run my amps through my cab. Not even at ultra-low volumes and even a 1-watter could be too loud.

Now I want to create an IR that mimics that "amp in the room sound", so that I get a similar feel and sound when running my amps through a Palmer PDI-03's line out into my DAW, applying that IR and listening through headphones.

What mics should I use?
My SM57 would surely not do, but I have a U87 which is more likely to work. Are flat-response mics even better (think Behringer ECM8000)?

Should I do stereo (I have two ears...)?
Without any trying, I'd say two flat-response mics placed at ear level should get close to capture what I am hearing.

Has anybody any tipps or experiences to share?

Interesting. I was going to post something sort of related to the "amp in the room".

I noticed a lot of bands from the 70's/80's have what (to me) sounds like a room mic and no close mic on guitars....mostly leads, but I hear it on some rhythms too. Zeppelin comes to mind. Was wondering if these were, in fact, room mics. Or just processed close mics.

Back to topic though, would a "room mic" IR respond correctly to playing?

I have no experience creating IRs, just using them.

I've noticed that blending a close mic IR, back of cab IR, and "room" IRs does help to get that "in the room" sound when using headphones. That's what I always did back when I was using ampsim plugins.

Now I mainly use an AxeFx II which has "room level" in the cab simulation. Makes things sound 100x better when using cans.

I noticed a lot of bands from the 70's/80's have what (to me) sounds like a room mic and no close mic on guitars....mostly leads, but I hear it on some rhythms too. Zeppelin comes to mind. Was wondering if these were, in fact, room mics. Or just processed close mics.
Plus AD/DC's Back In Black. U87 in the room, IIRC.

Move around the room until you like what you hear then set up an ortf stereo pair where your ears are.