How to make my palm mutes sound "chunky"

Jul 21, 2003
Visit site
Not sure how else to descibe this question, but I'm a bit of a guitar newb. A lot of the stuff I try to play has the classic metal palm muted triplets and whatnot.

On the recordings it sounds really deep and chunky like it has some balls, when I try to do it, it sounds pretty anemic.

I'm sure a lot has to do with the equipment, but with my fender strat, boss metal zone pedal, and fairly loud amp, you'd think I could pull off a little better than how it sounds now.

So what do I need to fix? My palm muting technique? My equalizer settings? More distortion? Any tips?

more distortion is definately not the key.Technique probably. Also quite often i find less is more. Also take note the amount of power you expel from your right hand. it should be a hard attack, but controlled.

The types of picks (EXAMPLE.Heavy) you use and how close your palm is too the bridge helps. Being really aggressive and hard on the strings will help chug a lot along with decent distortion..

I can try and make some sort of vid to show..

Crappy video I know, dunno if thats helpful at all to trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. It actually doesn't sound awful after recorded through a crappy camera, hahaha.

Last edited by a moderator:
dude. your holding it totally sketchy.
decapitated%20-%20vogg1.jpg

that an example of a better pick hand position
use the side of your hand and the pinky to control palm muting.Dont clench your hand up.and, move your hand closer to the bridge, where you can support it.

^^

That dimebag pic is exactly how i play my palm muting or play in general i never really leave my hands to far away from their positions from the guitar unless i want to be fancy...

Problems:
- Single coil bridge pickup in the Strat. You'll want to replace it with a fairly high output humbucker. Good choices would be EMG 85, Seymour Duncan Invader/Distortion, or DiMarzio X2N/Evolution.
- Metal Zone Pedal. Metal zones are crap and you'd do much better with a better amplifier.
- What amp and speakers do you have? You won't get any chunk out of a 5W amp and an 8" speaker.

you should concentrate more on muting the strings, once you find a way to mute the strings compfortably while getting a sound you want practice strumming and eventually it'll just be instinct

it looks like the biggest problem is the angle of your picking hand turn it on more of an angle and use the right side of your hand to mute

Yes, you dont actually mute with the palm but the side of your hand. Myself it rests right at the bridge. The longer you play the more it becomes natural and your technique can change as well.

Single coil is another problem, metal requires a humbucker in the bridge, not totally carved in stone but Im never happy with a single in bridge for metal and only use the bridge pup for riffs.

gotta use a fairly heavy pick, mine are only .90 some guys use even heavier.

you have to chug those strings like you means it but its more firmness than an act of trying to break the strings.

I EQ for more bass, cut the mids and add some treble so the guitar doesnt sound dull for other stuff. I know you cant really tell by the tone from the camera but you sound kind of mid with little bass

If you just have a small practice amp its just not going to thunder like a 4/12 bottom no matter what you do.

I use maximum gain but then I dont have modern extreme gain equipment either. My gain now comes from a pretty decent early 90's effects rack which has more gain than my 80's amps. Cant speak for your pedal but I like lots of gain.

Pickup is going to make a big difference
technique comes with work and time
work with your EQ settings
:)

In terms of the sound: scooped mid-range, you'll probably want humbuckers, and a good amp. However, you can palm mute with anything if you do it right. Don't dig your palm in too deep, but don't ease off too much either. Practice till you get it right. It will soon become second nature.
Metal zones are crap. I have one, and I just lent it to WeAreTheLastMen so he could do dive bombs, because I had very little use for it (Elias, if you're reading this, I'd like it and my cable back some day, you bum).

The further back towards the bridge you place your palm, the more 'ballsy' your palm mutes will sound. The strings will have a chance to vibrate for longer and you will get a fuller sound this way. The further away you get, the less chance the strings have to vibrate and the mutes will become more staccato. Over time, you'll learn what dynamics you are looking for and you'll learn where you need to put your palm depending on this.

A good start would be to have the arm at more of an angle in relation to the guitar so you'll have a greater contact area with the strings on your palm. It also looks like you might be holding the pick incorrectly. You should be holding it between the side of your forefinger and your thumb.

I think Alcaline has described it pretty well i totally agree , u need to go as low as possible next to the bridge in order get that bassy rich palm mute , i also suggest you turn up your bass and gain on your amp , cheers

From my own experience, trying to play metal or triplets on that kind of guitar is weak. I had a Rogue Squier that I got when I was 10 years old to learn on, and I quickly learned as soon as I discovered metal, that I needed something better.

Get a Schecter and a Peavey combo amp, or go a step farther and get a peavey 6505+ head and a nice cab.

From my own experience, trying to play metal or triplets on that kind of guitar is weak. I had a Rogue Squier that I got when I was 10 years old to learn on, and I quickly learned as soon as I discovered metal, that I needed something better.

Get a Schecter and a Peavey combo amp, or go a step farther and get a peavey 6505+ head and a nice cab.

I'm sorry, but no.

You can have all the gear in the world and it won't make you play better. In fact, from my experience, it makes you play worse. Having to play through a basic set up forces you to concentrate on your tone. What he has now is just fine for a beginning guitarist.

Also, are triplets a genre now?