• E

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • F

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

JakeAC5253

Frozen Sun Audio
Nov 19, 2010
I have 5 overdrive pedals in house right now, and I use them all pretty regularly, so I thought I would design a shootout. The units are: Maxon OD820, Maxon OD808, MXR GTOD, BOSS SD-1, and an overdrive of my own creation. The clips are unnamed and in random order, whose true identity only I know. Vote for which you like best, and I will reveal in the near future.

A: OD820

B: Molotov Overdrive (My Unit)

C: OD808

D: SD-1

E: GTOD

F: Unboosted

Last edited by a moderator:
They all sound very close to me. :lol: Perhaps if you were using them for more than clean boosts we would hear more differences.

I'm gonna go with A for it's slightly darker character. Sounds like the other pedals would do pretty much the same when turning the toneknob a smidge though. I don't dislike any of them, and tbh if someone would sneak into my studio overnight and rerecord my guitars with one of the other ODs, I probably wouldn't notice :D

they sound very close. i would say i like d and f the least and a,b and c about the same. maybe c just a little bit more because it sounds a little smoother while still maintaining that boost characteristic. im gonna go out on a limb and say the top 3 are the 2 maxons and your custom overdrive. thanks for the comparison :D

Total guess but I'd hazard that C is in fact the SD-1. It's got a bit more low end to me which matches the asymmetrical clipping.

I voted for B as the one i preferred, A being my second chose. I didn't like F much and E sounds slightly more saturated but not as tight as B, maybe a bit more fizzy too. Curious to see what the results are.

I love the spread of differing opinions. Keep them coming guys, I will reveal soon.

They all sound so close that all of them are perfectly usable and it seems silly to pick between them, because the differences could easily be made up with the knobs on the individual pedals.

I didn't vote yet because I haven't listened on decent speakers. I think they all sound really good but some are definitely better than others at first listen on crap computer speakers. :headbang:

Can you post your whole chain?
Guitar? Cab? Mic? Pre?

I didn't vote yet because I haven't listened on decent speakers. I think they all sound really good but some are definitely better than others at first listen on crap computer speakers. :headbang:

Can you post your whole chain?
Guitar? Cab? Mic? Pre?

Alright, I was going to reveal, but I'll give you a chance to listen. Post again when you've voted.

The chain is early 90's 5150 with Winged C power tubes > Boogie OS cab V30s > SM57 + Audix i5 > M-Audio Profire 2626.

ah man don't make everyone wait for me. I wont be able to listen on my Genelecs until tonight!

Give up the deets!

Thanks for the chain also! Seriously I dig the tone. I have a similar set up except I'm running TADs in my 5150.
-John

Alright, well I guess I'll reveal. Thanks everyone for participating, great turnout this time, and again I love how there wasn't an obvious winner, but many votes spread around. Here are the details on each clip.

A - OD820
B - Molotov Overdrive (My unit)
C - OD808
D - SD-1
E - GTOD
F - Unboosted

I've updated the original post with the unit names for easy referencing.