Votes: 7 30.4%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • F

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
Interesting outcome :) Gotta love those blind tests. And altough the Maxon-camp was kind of favoured, I think this proves once again that choice of OD will not make or break the record. All of those tracks sounded just fine to me (even the unboosted one wasn't bad).

Thanks for taking the time Jake!

I missed the blind test but I think that the OD808 and your build sound pretty much identical, SD-1 has that slightly more hi-fi sound to it, GT-OD sounds like a tiny bit messier version of the OD808, and the OD820 is a bit darker/warmer than the rest, which is making me prefer it. Honestly, all would work in a mix.

Thanks a lot for the shootout! :headbang: I also think the 820 "wins" although they are all close.

I own the OD808 and GTOD and had the OD820 once for a short while. The 820 was great but really noisy compared to the OD808 (maybe it was defective?) so I sent it back.

Jake, one question: I always think the GTOD sounds less aggressive than the 808 (kind of like in between the 808 and 820 even if a bit "messier"). In your shootout though, it does sound quite aggressive - quite similar to the 808. Were the settings the same on both?

Jake, one question: I always think the GTOD sounds less aggressive than the 808 (kind of like in between the 808 and 820 even if a bit "messier"). In your shootout though, it does sound quite aggressive - quite similar to the 808. Were the settings the same on both?

The Gain and Tone settings were the same, but the 808 was dialed with more output volume than the GTOD. Every OD in this shootout was dialed at or near unity gain.

Cool, thanks a lot for your reply!

I just remembered something. The GTOD has a hidden feature that if you open it up, it has a mini switch inside that changes the sound of the circuit. For this shootout, mine is set to the side that is louder and more gainy. Maybe that is why mine sounds different from yours.

I just remembered something. The GTOD has a hidden feature that if you open it up, it has a mini switch inside that changes the sound of the circuit. For this shootout, mine is set to the side that is louder and more gainy. Maybe that is why mine sounds different from yours.
That would be the part that's suppose to be exactly the same as the zakk wylde overdrive, which is modeled after the SD-1.

Ah that's probably it - I didn't know about that at all... guess I need to play around with that a bit. Thanks for following up!