Humanity - Fighting Their Way To The Top

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
[IMGLEFT]http://www.russell.ultimatemetal.com/Interview/humanity1.jpg[/IMGLEFT]By Russell Garwood

It was a dark and stormy night. I was driving through the pouring rain. Suddenly, as if from nowhere, I heard a loud thud. The steering jammed, and I began to veer into the verge of a deserted country lane. My tyre was flat. During flashes of lightening I could see enough to inspect the tyre. Sensing somebody behind me, I turned. There, to my horror, I saw… Ok, so perhaps I’m embellishing the truth a little, but my interview with Humanity did start with a drive. The drive ended at the Fox and Duck, a pub near Cambridge, the city where this up-and-coming UK metal act are based. Upon arrival, I sat down for a drink with guitarist Richard Hall, while the other band members slowly began to appear. Forty-five minutes, much discussion and several drinks later, the band’s full six-man line-up had assembled, accompanied by manager Keith Bryant of Killin Time Records. As soon as everybody was settled with drinks, I began the interview. Covering topics ranging from the band’s music, through their thoughts on the current UK underground scene, to drinking and tackling bollards, we covered much ground, in what proved to be a very entertaining evening.

humanity2.jpg

Humanity live in concert. Lots of fans! Har har.

“So how are you all today?” I begin the interrogation. With a general affirmative reply from the band members “Sober” is thrown in by Richard. “For how long now?” seems the most appropriate reply.

“Two days… It’s killing me”

“Shocking” I reply, as the band begin to laugh (take note, you may see a pattern developing here). Following a slight pause, “how do you guys describe your music to new listeners?” is my second question. “I say ‘new progressive metal’ and they say ‘what’s that’?” Chris Le Mottee (bassist and beer-spiller extraordinaire) replies, prompting another hiatus for us to regain composure. Next up, drummer Alex Townsend suggests “it’s very difficult to explain really - there are a lot of influences in our sound. It is bordering on the old-school, and quite gothic at some points, as well as having a bit of black metal thrown in there at times.”

“Yeah” guitarist Steve Wallace continues, “I think we have quite a wide audience, there’s something in our music for everybody. There is a more melodic, early Iron Maiden type sound, Metallica influenced chugging rhythm guitars, and Dream Theater stylings with some of the keyboards. It’s a big mixture of everything really.” Since Steve has broached the subject already, I go straight in there with my next question:

“Seeing you have such a big mix of styles, who would you consider your biggest influences?”

“Christ” is all Chris can manage for that one, as his band-mates laugh (probably in the hope I don’t ask them next). “I think we have a bit of Paradise Lost going on in there” he continues. “They mix more melodic stuff with heavy stuff, which is broadly what we do.”

”Wicked, so are we talking old Paradise Lost, or the new era?”

“Honestly, I love the new album, but then I like some of the older stuff too.”

humanityalex.jpg

Drummer Alex hiding behind his kit

”Cool, any other influences? I know some of you are Emperor fans.” I say pointedly at Alex, having discussed the seminal black metallers with him earlier. “Yeah, I wouldn’t say that’s too deep other than the keyboards..” the drummer replies.

”No, it shows in your double bass pedal though…”

“Yeah, it can show in the way I play.”

”Totally, you play pretty damn fast... How do you do it? You git!” I reply, much to the rest of Humanity’s delight. Laughing “well, that’s like asking a runner how he can run that fast” the nimble-footed percussionist retorts. ”I guess a lot of practice” is my offering, while vocalist Simon Shadwell throws in steroids as another possible cause. This causes further hilarity among us all, and after a small pause I turn my attention to the vocals, asking who has the largest influence on their style. Metallica is the reply, but largely in “tone, and the way James Herfield uses his voice”, while the keys show no such similarities, Craig Burkitt maintains. While a major part of the sound, “they’re not as prominent as Dream Theater or anything.”

humanity3.jpg

Humanity live in concert

“From the keyboard point of view” Steve (guitars) elaborates “I don’t think he uses them as synths, in a sense - more as a replacement for an orchestra. That’s what we always wanted the keyboards there for, we don’t use it as a lead instrument in the same way Dream Theater do. They act to fill the sound out more than anything else. We also try to have noises and voices at times – other interesting things going on in our music.” Fellow guitarist Richard explains further – “whatever we do, we try and make it sound as big as possible. Heavy, chug-chug-chug guitars, and dramatic strings help.”

“Yeah definitely! And who do you think you guitar sound is inspired by?”

“I think thrash is a big element most of the time” contributes Richard, while Steve continues “I listen to a lot of metal, but I think probably from a rhythm perspective bands like Metallica are closest. With regards to lead playing, there’s a number of people – like Steve Vai and Satriani in the speed and melody, while Megadeath are a big influence as well, the way sometimes the guitar sound shows middle eastern influences.”

“Personally, I think from the band side of things Maiden has always been a big influence” finished Rich, “but from a guitar point of view – with Maiden, Maiden is Maiden! There’s not an awful lot you can take from it guitar wise, I don’t think. So it’s always been the earlier 80’s type guitarists like Van Halen and stuff like that.”

“Wicked, wicked. So how did your signing with Carbon 13 come about?

“We went to the studio to record When Silence Calls, and the owners liked us so much they decided to start a label and sign us. Which was quite a good thing really!” understates Alex.

”So they decided to start a label just for you guys?”

“Yup”

“Niiice! That’s got to be a good sign, really.” I reply, to the band’s amusement. Steve elucidates “Yeah, I think they always had the intention of forming a label, but we were a catalyst for that. They were just waiting for the right time and act, and I think that was us - the intention was always there. Our ages helped, as well as the type of music we played. When we recorded the album we were just out of college – all eighteen, we’d only been signed to Killin Time [Records] a few months.”

humanity4.jpg

Humanity like black!

Keith Bryant, the band’s manager continues. “They contacted us. Mastertone Studio invited the band and said if we wanted to record we could go and do it up there. I went up, checked it out, and it’s a good studio. I think one of the main attractions was that a lot of the bands at the moment doing a similar kind of thing - or at least in a similar vein - are that much older, and they don’t play live a lot. The label were looking for a young band they could work with, and Humanity fitted perfectly. They’re looking to expand quite quickly though; have another three bands signed before the end of the year, and get a second album out for us.”

“Yeah” I respond, “the label sent me their mission statement, and aims. They seem like very cool guys”

“Totally. Also, they are both musicians - they know how musicians think, and they work in that direction.”

“So how did you feel about losing Humanity about a month after you signed them? Happy for the band but pissed off for you label?” I ask Keith, which makes the band chuckle.

“Nah, I felt it was the best thing for this band” comes the reply. “C13 have more scope, and more finance. I’d got the album to a stage where it needed remixing, and they could see I was at the limit of what I wanted to do – I’d spent a lot of money on the release. I was quite happy letting the band sign with C13, I’m managing them now. I want to work alongside them now until they get to a point where they need someone – again, better at the job - than me. This band will move on, I can manage them until they get to a certain size. They’re going to have to work hard, though” he finishes, eliciting mock groans from the group.

humanitycraig.jpg

A rather multi-coloured Craig

Moving on to their new contract, I next wonder how Humanity’s attitude towards music has changed since they were signed. Very little, is the answer, according to Steve their songwriting method has remained the same. “Obviously when we first started – let’s face it, all bands to – you’ve got to copy someone, and we did. You have to start somewhere, and while they don’t admit it, all bands do. We’re not frightened!” he asserts, to the amusement of us all. “When we first got together in a room, S&M had just come out, and we just said ‘right, let’s do this forever’. So we began jamming away; nothing else mattered, and it all started from there. Later on a Maiden influence came in, and we’d almost done our first demo by that point. After that we started bringing in different influences and sounds, which is why we’ve stuck it out to where we are – we write what we feel is right. We don’t care who different bits sound like, if it rocks, go with it.”

“I think we started off, like Steve says, copying, but as time has passed we have got a more individual sound” Richard concludes.

“Yeah, I wouldn’t call you any kind of a rip-off band now.. I hear lot of influences in your sound, and also individuality.”

“Yeah definitely” he continues, “different instruments bring slightly different styles.”

“There’s six of us, all helping shape the songs” points out the vocalist, while Steve asserts “our band is a democracy. No one person leads and others follow. If someone’s written a song, we play it to everyone else, chop and change bits, add our own ideas, and eventually get it so we’re all happy.”

“So is that how you go about writing a song then? Yours aren’t exactly the simplest in the world.”

“We bring in bits from all over and play it” explains Alex. “We say ‘OK, we like this’, or ‘we should change that’.”

Steve elaborates. “It’s a bit like a jigsaw. Because everybody may come in with a slightly different feel, we all play it to the rest of the group, and six or seven times out of ten we’ll go, ‘no, that’s bollocks’, because it just doesn’t fit.”

According to Richard “we’re honest with each other. We just write our songs; if we have a good riff – a good riff can make a song – so we work on it. If we’re not happy then we just throw it out.”

Simon chips in “you can just get frustrated with it sometimes”, while Steve explains the band’s drive. “The age old saying, all killer, no filler, is what we try and work on. If something doesn’t fit we just throw it out, or use it somewhere else. It’s all just building blocks really.”

“I think the most important thing at the moment is the fact we try to better ourselves with every song we write” concludes Richard. “If we are writing a song we really try and make it a little bit more than the last one, a little more complex, or catchy.”

”So if you have a song that you’re not happy is better than the last one you’ll work on it until you feel it is, or chuck it out?”

“Oh yeah, totally.” Is the general response, while keys man Craig points out “it does come to a point where we all say ‘this isn’t working’ sometimes, and then just get rid of it.”

From a managerial point of view Keith adds that he has worked with a lot of bands of which “Humanity aren’t typical. They don’t seem to write a crap song in-between good ones. Every time I go and listen to a new song I think, ‘that’s good’. Maybe not always better than the last one, but they’re hitting a standard. Simon sings melodies before his lyrics, and I’ve not seen that before. Most vocalists try and get their lyrics out straight off, but Simon sings harmonies then fits the lyrics to those.”

“Yeah, I believe Katatonia do that, but I’ve never really heard of it other than that.”

Chris adds “sometimes we just play bits differently until we are happy with them”, and Steve finalises “yeah, very rarely is a song very similar in week five to how it was in week one…”

“Excellent! So, looking at your website, two things become clear; 1. You all like drinking” at which the band burst into laughter. “Well done this man” exclaims Richard, while Simon (rather insincerely) asserts “I’m on the straight and narrow!”

“Ahem, I believe you! Yeah, and 2.You tend to listen to bands that play heavier music than your own; you name Anathema as influences, and I know a few of you like Emperor. How do you think these two things affect your sound? Firstly the drinking.”

“Well, I’m alcohol free, and I’m not bothered about it” is Steve’s reply, while to the amusement of his band-mates, Alex contributes “when we have something to be done, we never drink. But if we’re playing, we will drink when we’ve finished the set.”

Keith points out that while many bands drink a lot before they go on stage, Humanity never do. Alex continues “we’ll play the set – people have paid to see us, so we want to give them the best show we can. Then we’ll go get drunk with them after

“Excellent” I chuckle, “and do you think the heavier influences creep down into your sound?”

“In some respects” thinks Steven “I mean, some bits do, but we don’t deliberately try to be a heavy band.” Alex, one of the fans of heavier music in the six, adds “most of us like that kind of music, but tend to enjoy writing more melodic stuff. In that sense we try and make things a little more chunky rather than faster. When we write a riff we try and make it big.” Richard’s view supports this. “I’ll go home, stick on Maiden and think ‘that’s the bollocks’, but if I went in to a rehearsal and played it I wouldn’t feel comfortable. You see what I mean; it’s what your heart tells you that you want to play, not what your brain is telling you it wants to hear.”

Steve finalises “Also, a lot of the more extreme stuff is a very powerful in-you-face kind of a sound, and I think in a way our stuff – at least when we’re playing it – feels that intense, for us. But we’re also big fans of melodic rock as well.”

“You do write very memorable, melodic songs.”

“Yeah, we also like to get the crowd going” says Craig, while Simon offers “We’re not shoe-gazers, we’re a live act”. Chris maintains “It’s all about us enjoying it as well.”

humanitysimon.jpg

Vocalist Simon, live in concert

On the subject of the band’s new album, I begin “congratulations on the new album When Silence Calls, it’s rocking my socks. Regarding the singing - there’s something resembling a growl in there at times, is that a possible future direction, or just something to enhance the music?” I ask Simon, only for Richard to jibe “That’s just him tuning up!” Much to the rest of our hilarity, Simon’s assertion is that “you may say it’s like a sexy element, you know.” He adds, more sincerely “it’s more a dynamic tool really. When there’s power to come across I tend to use rougher singing”, while Steve clarifies “every time he uses them it is an aggressive part of the song, so it is to fit in with the dynamics of the track.”

“Cool, and as I said earlier Alex is a complete c**t for his double bass speed.” I declare, which the band find most entertaining. “I like this guy” exclaims Richard, while I feel I should make clear “in the nicest possible way, of course!”. After another pause for laughter, I ask “was that deliberate - you put it in there to make the heavier parts have more impact - or did it just seem to fit as you were playing?”

“I’ll only use it if it really works with the song. We always work with a lot of dynamics, and if we’ve done a light bit, and really want to kick into something really heavy, that can sometimes mean rolling on the pedals as much as possible.” Returning to earlier themes, Steve contributes “again, it’s a dynamic device; we use it when it is necessary. I mean all the way through the album there are a lot of builds, but not really a great deal of straight rolling. If it works, it works, if it doesn’t, it doesn’t.”

Richard glibly states “Alex gets it spot on 99% of the time, if he doesn’t we’ll tell him bloody fast – ‘that’s shit, shut the f**k up!’”

“I like the honesty there!” Next I ask whether the guys are looking forward to Bloodstock, to a generally affirmative response. “We’ve been bunking off work talking about it” jokes Richard, while Alex points out “it is an important gig for us, we’re playing with some bloody good bands”.

“Yeah, I just got the demo from Season’s End (who are playing), a good one that!”

“For us, going in as an unknown band with such big names, this is very exciting” offers Steve. “We’ve got to compete with names like Evergrey, Children Of Bodom... It’s not going to be an easy gig to do, but it should be very cool.”

“Well, best of luck guys!” I conclude, before turning to Chris and asking “so how did you feel about doing an audition for the band over the phone?”

“Just a bit weird, yeah”, the bassist laughs, “I didn’t mind it, y’know. I got in the band didn’t I?” Steve explains that “John, our bass player at the time, didn’t have his own bass, amp or lead…”

“And I had all three” Chris proudly declares, with a smug grin.

“So, all we needed to know was that he could play” the guitarist continues, “so we phoned him, and asked him to play something for us over the phone. We heard this simple bass line, and thought, ‘yeah, that’ll do!’” As drummer Alex corrects, “it was more like a Chili Peppers slap, but he had a bass, so we thought that would do” As I’m about to begin my next question, the bar maid interrupts for a minute. It appears Humanity are far better at running up bar tabs than they are paying them, and some money is required!

humanity5.jpg

All six members of Humanity

Hence, following this minor interruption, I continue “so what are your views on the current rock/metal underground scene in the UK?

Craig offers “in Cambridge it is not so great”, and Alex elucidates “there’s a lot of really bad bands out there, and there’s a lot of really bad venues that want to play really bad bands.”

“I would have said it’s more the venues” Richard surmises “and the promoters hiring the bloody bands – they don’t really get the chance to make a metal scene in Cambridge. If people try to, it’s always cut off…” The band murmurs agreement. On a larger scale, it is impossible to talk about the UK as a whole, as far as Steve is concerned. “It’s so dependant on location when it comes to rock and metal. In some places you’ll get booed and bottled off the stage, and at others they’ll love it. It can be difficult for us - not being a particular style, more a mixture of things - but we have kind of been thrown into the UK power metal market, and it really surprised us how big the scene actually is. An event like Bloodstock really does bring home the size…”

“Because it is an underground scene, do you think it’s being harmed or helped by MP3 downloading?”

“A bit of both, I think. In the power metal scene it can now be argued that it has peaked, but I do think that it seems to be on the rise again, so I don’t think being an underground scene, it has been harmed by downloading. It’s just growing and growing.”

“Wicked, wicked! Since we’ve been far too serious for far too long, what the crap was ‘the bollard incident’ with the last bassist?”

In-between much laughter, various comments surface. Alex starts with “that was a drinking incident again”, and Richard says “that was one of the band’s first… err… ‘social events’.” The drummer then adds proudly “we had a snow-fight and broke his wrist first! We were absolutely totalled.”

“Yeah, in the early hours of the morning our old bassist decided to rugby tackle a bollard in the middle of the road, then took it home as a trophy” is Richard’s explanation. The vocalist concludes “yeah, the next morning we were walking down the road to get breakfast, and we could actually see a ‘for sale’ sign javelined into a hedge. Also there was a smiley face that had been peed into the snow…” he manages before the uncontrollable laughter kicks in. This seems like a good time to end, as my Dictaphone is about to run out of memory, and the band may take a while to recover from this moment of nostalgia. When asked for any final words, Craig concludes “if you’re looking for a new up-and-coming UK band then check us out”, while Richard takes the sensible approach - “buy it, I do ninjitsu!” A fitting end to a most entertaining interview, I feel.

humanitysteve.jpg

Guitarist Steve

Such merriment just leaves me to thank Grado and co. at Carbon 13 records, and Keith at Killin Time Records profusely for all their effort and help in sorting this epic interview out. Many thanks as well to all of Humanity for their answers, not hitting me when I called their drummer a c**t, the drinks, and for a very enjoyable evening.

Ultimatemetal’s Review of When Silence Calls
Official Humanity website
Official Killin Time Records website
Official Carbon 13 Records website