I am going to see the Flaming Lips, Cake, De La Soul, and Modest Mouse tonight...

I like Cake, but I dunno if I'd want a shirt so I can get ROCK ON! buddy-punches from drunken fratboys who feel the same. I think De La Soul and Modest Mouse are the current frontrunners, but seeing the performances will probably be the deciding factor, it's still up in the air...

OK, the t-shirts were $25, so I didn't buy one at all. If I'd had to, I would've bought a Flaming Lips shirt, because their show was phenomenal. They had anthropomorphic furries dancing around on stage, big reflective disco balls, and a giant screen that played movies right behind them. During Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, they played the part in Battle Royale where the girl accidentally poisons the wrong girl and it turns into a huge hot Japanese schoolgirl shootout.

De la Soul was much better than the last time I saw them. They brought out BLACK SHEEP too!

Modest Mouse and Cake were both very good. John from Cake has put on like 70 pounds.

Kinky might have been good, but I got there after they'd played. I'm not too broken up about it.

Originally posted by xfer
De la Soul was much better than the last time I saw them. They brought out BLACK SHEEP too!

cool. I thought those guys were defunct or chilling secretly in the gettos somewhere. So much for old school. :eek:

Yeah, they played a pretty short set, but it was a good one. The singer was wearing a white suit and had fake blood all over his face, and there was a camera mounted just below his mike so they kept showing near-fisheye shots of him singing and bleeding from close up. And the furry-suited animals were throwing fake snow around and giant balloons. Oh, er, and, importantly, the music was good.