I, Assailant (Brian Hood Stems) Mix / Master - looking for feedback!

Dystopian Order

New Metal Member
Nov 8, 2017
Germany
Hey guys,

I've been a lurker for a while now (shame on me!) but today I decided to change things up and give you this mix / master of one of the multitracks Brian Hood has recently shared.
Pretty satisfied with how this turned out, but any feedback is highly welcome!

I also just did this mix myself! After hearing your mix, personally I'd make the bass a bit louder and gel with kick drum a bit better, cause for now it seems the kick is dominating the low end. I'd also make the digital drums in the pre-chorus bridge a lot quieter so the chorus kicks in with way more impact.

Not that my mix is better or something, but this is more like how I envisioned it to be, feel free to use as a reference ;)

I also just did this mix myself! After hearing your mix, personally I'd make the bass a bit louder and gel with kick drum a bit better, cause for now it seems the kick is dominating the low end. I'd also make the digital drums in the pre-chorus bridge a lot quieter so the chorus kicks in with way more impact.

Not that my mix is better or something, but this is more like how I envisioned it to be, feel free to use as a reference ;)

These stems are so good, aren't they? Really enjoyed mixing this track!

Thank you so much for the feedback! Personally, I like a lot of low end on my kicks, but I'll look into the mix again. Gonna try to sidechain kick and bass as well as some multiband compression on the master track to make them gel a little bit better. Also gonna try out lowering the digital drums.
On a side note, I like your mix, especially the way you arranged the pre-chorus! Personally, I feel like the snare reverb sometimes takes up a little too much space. The clean vocals also sound pretty dry, but if that's what you like, go for it!

To Phil Anselmo: You can find the stems here: https://fromshittogold.com/

Hi! Although the snare on your mix has nice smack, it could use more room/reverb? I also did mix, not sure how it turned out. ^_^

Hi! Although the snare on your mix has nice smack, it could use more room/reverb? I also did mix, not sure how it turned out. ^_^

Hey man, thanks for your feedback!
Just took a listen to your mix. I actually really like how your kick cuts through without being overly clicky. I think your guitars and clean vocals could benefit from some more brightness to make the mix a bit more exciting :thumbsup:

Hey guys,

I've been a lurker for a while now .....

Hey dude,

It sounds nice to my ears. I will pop to my studio tomorrow and will play it again through my Adam A77X's and Genelec's 8350A monitors I use in the studio. I think the midrange area is a little bit to harsh, but will tell you later.
The rest of the mixes above is not to good to me and they sound really bad so no opinions at all :)
Good job, keep mixing mr. Lurker :)