I cannot for the life of me get Auto Tune to track a bass guitar...

tempe

Captain Midnight
Sep 22, 2005
Perth, Australia
I've never pitch corrected bass before, ever, and I've finally gotten something horrible enough that I have to do it. I've set the input type to bass instrument, and it's working fine on a vocal so I know its not pilot error. The bass DI is pretty distorted and clanky though. Does anyone have any ideas or shall I demo melodyne and accept defeat?

I did elastic audio the bass tracks prior, should I be tuning before correcting timing?

Here's a very quick clip of the di.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39073940/ASH BASS 1 (DRY)-Poly-209.mp3

Just a quick note, I didn't track this :\

if it's distorted in any way (I assume you mean amp distortion, not clipping), most tuners won't track it at all. If you're tuning bass you basically have to have an absolute clean DI or it just doesn't work.

I generally tune before timing, only cause melodyne/autotune USED to really fucked with the timing of tracks. Now it's probably either or.

Its a DI signal, put its been played extremely hard, thus causing the pickups to distort (its a fender jazz with passives).

Disregard this thread, I just played the part myself, then tried to tune my playing and it did so with no issues. Basically the tracking sucks, and I actually just told the band to either let me retrack it, or go track at a professional studio in their country with a experienced engineer and re-do it themselves. The whole thing is just a complete nightmare.

Try duplicating the track, rolling off all of the high end (leaving only the low "note," or as much of it as possible) and use it to trigger Auto-Tune on the main bass track.

Try duplicating the track, rolling off all of the high end (leaving only the low "note," or as much of it as possible) and use it to trigger Auto-Tune on the main bass track.

I tried that, but no luck. I'm just going to retrack everything myself, seems to be the only way I can be sure it's not going to come to me in the same condition again.

Also I think a demo of melodyne may be in order, I will then own three pitch correction plug-ins.... sigh.

I used to elastic bass but it will also ass rape your bass track with tuning artifacts. I'd run through before and after with ze tuning.