I can't believe nobody has ever posted this : One of the best Rush covers of all time

Aug 14, 2008

This blows me away for 2 reasons: 1) the arrangement itself is just phenomenal. Dude made it his own to the point where if you didn't know any better you'd swear it was an original song! 2) this isn't a studio overdub. this is all 100% LIVE - he's just that good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw that a while ago actually during a search for looper performances (i'd like one so I can go from guitar -> sax at end). Good stuff

I'm not particularly into them, but there's a deathcore band called Veil Of Maya with only one guitarist and apparently the dude uses loopers all the time live and he does it all by recording certain parts mid song and then playing them back at the opportune times. Pretty cool stuff.

Not to burst anyone's bubble--while I agree it is a great rendering, it was NOT done live, in the purest sense. He performed this song over the space of at least three hours, and edited the video afterwards...unless the sun goes down, rises and goes down again over the space of 6 minutes in his part of the universe. He clearly starts the song in the afternoon, it gets dark during the middle part of the song (necessitating secondary lighting) and then for a bit it gets light again...then it goes dark at the end.

If he had done it in one take, that would have been total mastery.

Not to burst anyone's bubble--while I agree it is a great rendering, it was NOT done live, in the purest sense. He performed this song over the space of at least three hours, and edited the video afterwards...unless the sun goes down, rises and goes down again over the space of 6 minutes in his part of the universe. He clearly starts the song in the afternoon, it gets dark during the middle part of the song (necessitating secondary lighting) and then for a bit it gets light again...then it goes dark at the end.

If he had done it in one take, that would have been total mastery.

I was really referring to the audio being live, but thanks for pointlessly splitting hairs. And I'm not sure if your post is a veiled cast of doubt on whether or not he's actually able to play this live, but he is. There are videos of him playing in front of crowds in exactly the same way.

I was really referring to the audio being live, but thanks for pointlessly splitting hairs. And I'm not sure if your post is a veiled cast of doubt on whether or not he's actually able to play this live, but he is. There are videos of him playing in front of crowds in exactly the same way.

I am not saying he cannot play it live. Obviously he was. I estimate that he played it live between 10 and 15 times over the course of one afternoon. If it was one afternoon. I am a huge fan of live music. I am much less of a huge fan where a talented person plays the same song 15 times live and adds together all the good parts to make it look like he is even more talented.

Too bad he could not have gotten it done in a half hour and then it would not have looked so disjointed. I cannot even give mad props to the editor, because the time cuts are so obvious. So yeah, I give him credit for being really good at what he does. Don't mind me if I decide to not come in my pants when I watch him.

Just sayin.

He performed this for RUSH at Canadian honors for the band. was pretty awesome. and who cares if he did it three different times and it was edited. let's applaud his ONE MAN arrangement of this song, plus his mastery of foot pedals looping riffs is quite impressive. Plus it's a fucking RUSH song, so who cares it's fucking awesome.

Me-and-Rush.jpg