I don't get the right tone out of my Axe-FX

Dave1978

Nov 23, 2007
Germany
Hi,

I'm an Axe-FX user since one year now ... I've heard a lot of good soundsamples on this site, but my tone still sucks. I used custom IRs as well.

I'm looking for that hi gain sound with clear chords and chunky palm mutes.

My guitar is a Schecter Demon with "duncan designed" pickups, wich sounds good with a real amp. I'm playing since 15 years.

Please give some advice how to get a good hi gain tone with the Axe-FX.

Thx
Dave

Are you on the latest firmware version? Start with a simple chain, like you would use with a real amp:

Tubescreamer for clean boost > 5150 > Recto Cab.

Tweak those until it sounds good to you before you try anything else. With the newer versions the tone has been sick for me with this setup. :headbang:

Thanks for the advice regarding updating the firmware. It sounds better, indeed. Even tough I've got some problems with the output volume now, which is to high in most of the presets.

BUT: I've never had a problem getting out a good tone. But I don't get a GREAT tone. There's always strange stuff going on in the mids. When I compare my tone with some references it always sounds too muffled. And when I turn up the presence it's the same, but with sharper highs. I don't know... maybe I want too much.

BUT: I've never had a problem getting out a good tone. But I don't get a GREAT tone. There's always strange stuff going on in the mids. When I compare my tone with some references it always sounds too muffled. And when I turn up the presence it's the same, but with sharper highs. I don't know... maybe I want too much.

Sounds like you need to try a different impulse, this has been my experience! (boosting the highs with a muffled sounding 'pulse just makes it sound peak-y) Also though, you might just have too much mids (rather than boosting highs to compensate, try cutting out the muffled-sounding freq's)

Agree will all above. Different Impulse would do the trick. On the other hand, I'm pretty happy with my guitar sound, but with the Axe-FX it can be hit or miss by switching the guitar. If I make a good sound for an EMG81, it'll sound ass with a Lundgren. Even the same pickup on different guitars makes a bigger difference than I'd expect. Swap the pickups. :)

I must agree here that the main problem is your pickups.
There are great sounding stock presets that only need to have less reverb.
So it should sound great without much tuning, but if the guitar sound isn't great, whatever you do to the Axe-Fx it won't sound good.

Okay ... what do you think about a Schecter Hellraiser with EMG707 Pickups? I was thinking about buying that guitar anyway, but I'm afraid the PUs and the guitar itself are sounding to muffled. That would be the opposite of the sound I'm looking for.

Which 7-String guitar would you guys recommend for a fresh and open sound?

Thanks... I'm not sure if the EMG 707 aren't to massive for my taste.

What do you thing about a Blackjack C7 with Seymour Duncan JB/59 PUs?

Edit: I tried a lot of IRs today. The main problem still remains: I get no powerful palm mutes out of that thing. Open powerchords are sounding really nice, if I keep the gain under control, but that chuka-chuka-metal thing doesn't work.

I built some new presets.... it sounds even more worse

I have to overgain the sound to get some poor palm mutes out of it. With less gain there is almost no sound while palm muting.

AXE: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/3/1318589/overgained.mp3

I don't understand why ... compared to my old Line 6 sound, the Axe-FX sucks:

POD: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/3/1318589/POD.mp3

Here is my last mix with firmware 7, using the "Master of Puppets" Preset: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/3/1318589/Olschool Metal Dry.mp3

Since I didn't tweak it at all, I wonder if the Axe-FX user here recognize the sound.
Maybe someone of you could send me a soundsample, using that preset, that I can compare the differences.

I have the same guitar as you do and I can tell you. Switching from Duncan Design to real EMG 707 was a HUGE step

i have an ESP that came with stock duncan-designed pickups

i thought they sounded ok...then i went ahead and swapped the bridge for a duncan JB

now i can't stand the sound of the neck pickup, sounds like complete and total crap in comparison. as soon as i have the $$ for it, it's coming out for a jazz or 59 or something.

Here is my last mix with firmware 7, using the "Master of Puppets" Preset: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/3/1318589/Olschool Metal Dry.mp3

Since I didn't tweak it at all, I wonder if the Axe-FX user here recognize the sound.
Maybe someone of you could send me a soundsample, using that preset, that I can compare the differences.
Was that preset written for your firmware ?

that's one of the flaws of the axefx. You're not sure that you can use your presets after an update. It might needs some tweaking, or it might be unusable. Tweaking is a keyword with the AFX.

The other guitarist in my band uses a 2ch rectifier and I use an axe fx with mainly a recto preset, yet we both prefer the axe fx.