I don't want to live in this world anymore - Tony Iommi has cancer

If the cancer was caught early, and it sounds like it was, he'll have a good chance to beat it. There are several types of lymphoma, many of which can be cured.

From what I recall, Dio's cancer was diagnosed quite late in it's progression which gave him very little time once a diagnosis was made.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery to metal's all-time riff-master!

i remember with Dio, at the time they said they had caught it early, but we later found out it was already like stage 4 by the time they caught it

From http://www.bravewords.com/news/175911 :

For the first time since being diagnosed with the early stages of lymphoma at the beginning of the year, BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi has issued a public statement:

"My fans, friends & colleagues -

I just want to say how overwhelmed I am with all your messages of support, thank you so much.

Well it's not what I wanted for Christmas, that's for sure, but now I can't wait for the test results to come in and get going with the treatment.

It's really good that the guys are coming over so that we can continue working on the album as things are going great in the studio.

Well, not much else to say at this time, so thanks again.

Bless you all,
Tony"

If you would like to send a get well email to Tony, you can do so by emailing getwelltony@black-sabbath.com (courtesy of Fan Website Black Sabbath Online).

According to Wikipedia, Lymphoma is a cancer of the lymphocytes, a type of cell that forms part of the immune system. Typically, lymphomas present as a solid tumor of lymphoid cells. Treatment might involve chemotherapy and in some cases radiotherapy and/or bone marrow transplantation, and can be curable depending on the histology, type, and stage of the disease.

Reactions: NorseBlood