I have an EMU 1820m, upgrade wanted

jocarley

New Metal Member
Oct 13, 2008
I have an EMU 1820m interface and it's OK but would like to upgrade. Can any-one recommend somthing better for around £500 or under? or should I just stick with what I've got until I have more money? (I use mainly Cubase, Wavelab and Audition on PC)

cheers

Jo

Beyond your budget interfaces I'd always look at tailoring the preamp and converters/soundcard to your specific needs. Next year I'm looking at going down the separate components route, maybe a '500-series' pre or two (More likely an FMR RNP) and either an outboard AD/DA or maybe a decent PCI soundcard. The EMU converters are very good, so personally I'd stick with it and maybe add a nice one or 2-channel preamp.

What exactly do you feel you need to upgrade? How many I/O, also? You can just add some pre's and/or an AD/DA converter.

It's my first set up, so I can't really compare it to anything. i've got enough inputs etc. the sound is pretty good going in and mixing etc. I just hate the digital sound that i'm left with at the end. It seems to loose so much quality when I mix down. I bought wavelab 6 as I thought that i just need to add a bit of mastering to boost the sound but it just exaggerates the digitalness. I'm not sure which component I should be looking at. Would some sort of summing amp help?