i like 'safe as milk' way better than any other beefheart record

tar

you are the bullshit
Jan 7, 2003
the south
Visit site
i like it better than trout mask because it is more normal and more danceable. i still haven't 'gotten' trout mask yet after 6 years but at least now i can appreciate when others throw beefheart references into their songs and stroke my chin, bemused at the creativity of others who 'have' gotten it.

I'm gonna have to go with Trout Mask for the same reason why you like Safe As Milk better. S... is still a really good album though.

When you mention bands with Beefheart references do you mean US Maple? I like them at least as much as Beefheart - probably more because they're even weirder and less dancable. Then again, their earlier stuff is a lot more straightforward.

Here's a link to a video for the title track of their debut 7", "Stuck". I don't like this as much as their later, more out stuff but it's still really good if I'm in the mood for something catchy and the video looks all "alternative rock" and would probably get played on 120 Minutes.

http://www.southern.com/southern/band/USMAP/17549_video.html

Also regarding Beefheart, Weasel Walter and I were talking about Gorguts once and he said, "'Obscura' is the 'Trout Mask Replica' of metal." which is pretty right on if you ask me.

i was actually talking about the pixies. on surfer rosa, there is part of one of the songs where a right-panned guitar lead that is real high in the mix plays something that sounds like the first song (i think) off of trout mask. maybe it's just me, and i'm sorry ia m not being specific but that is what i was talking about.