I looked in the BC women's literary journal and 18 of 20 poems were about rape

i can't believe you just said this! because my friend that goes to BC told me that the last one was literally what he called 'a handbook for the twisted date rapist', maybe that's what he meant!?!?

well, the one i'm reading is "laughing medusa", which ceased in 1997 (funnily, i looked in the front and saw it had been edited by a girl i hooked up with freshman year, in 1995), so there have probably been several different incarnations until then. usually these women's journals are vanity projects for one or two girls and when they graduate with a nice feminist resume the journals die.

<-- journal expert

and yeah, "handbook for the twisted date rapist" would be a perfect description of these poems.

i wish i could remember the name of the one my friend was talking about.
as a post-womens' studies majorette- i can declare that said journals are boring and awful generally, although smith college always seemed to pull off a nice one.

The maid backed away in fear
Her eyes redly screaming
As he grabbed at her
Leaving her torn with tears streaming
--excerpt from "The Tongueless Maid" by Genevieve Buckley

Thighs plow the snow as your legs are pulled apart,
you groan, like a workhorse grunting from tightening the girth,
as the weight of the soldier forces breath from your lungs.
--excerpt from "Rape As A Weapon" by Lesley Appleton-Jones

YES.

actually, the rape poems, although in the majority, aren't the worst poetry in the journal. here:

Beauty--it is in the eye
It Reveals
the human soul.

I can see you love me.
The final reciprocation.
As I now behold,
I question the necessity.
Life is my need,
not your beauty.

For my eyes are
closed.
Never to let you see
their brilliance again.
--Brenda Crudo

honestly, I think that is among the worst, most meaningless poems I have ever read. a computer could have constructed a better one.

My opinion is that you should stand by what you've created. And why should I conceal the names? It's not like they're underage criminal suspects or rape victims or--

Oh. Bleh.