I need to make this chorus arrive with power...

Vicioushead

Jan 29, 2012
Ireland
...so how can I make the drum fill at 1.58 in this track:

Sound like the drum fill at 1.18 in this track:

It sounds so huge and mine sounds so wimpy.

Can anyone help?

(Also should mention, I haven't started mixing or anything and I'm very noobish)

Last edited by a moderator:
YouTube video won't load on my phone so I'm not sure what you are referencing with or exactly what you want. But if you want a big Tom sound then you need to start quite simply with eq, compression and reverb. There isn't a whole lot to it. Having quality samples would definitely be the priority here though. You can polish a turd but it's still going to reek of ass. Ya dig?

I see.

I'll mess with it more and see what I can do. When using compression in the past I've ended up ruining the balance between the different drums. It'd be nice to have some reference point to start with.

Thanks for the input!

I noticed two very important things:

1-During the drumfill on the 30sec song,the drums are way louder then every other element in the mix,whereas in your mix,the drums
are quieter than the keyboards,so no matter how good your ssmples are,they will never sound as big as you want them.

2-The part with the keys just before the chorus sounds louder than the chorus itself.You have to do the exact opossite for the chorus to sound bigger.

Hope that helps!

Yes, you are absolutely right. I plan to bring that synth part way down when I begin mixing. I love to know how to get that really boomy tom sound on the 30sec song. Is it a matter of just boosting the drums for that little part?

To get from your tom sound to his tom sound(with the existing samples),i would try boosting at about 130-180hz the higher toms
and at about 80-120hz the lower and floor toms,and substracting some 500hz,and a boost around 6-8khz.

Of course,finding samples that are closer to the sound you're after is better than having to make drastic eq settings.

Boosting that part may not be necessary after you lower the keys...after all,you don't want them to sound louder than the chorus.BUT...add some reverb (with automation) on the drums(toms,snare...maybe even kick) for just that drumfill part.
That,in addition to lowering the keys' level way down,will probably get you much closer to what you're after..

Small tip, automate your bass guitar down about 4-6 db during the tom run, depending on where you have it sitting. Excellent for longer tom fills as the low end clears up substantially, allowing more room for the attack.

Wow...such a simple idea! I'll definitely give it a try, there are other parts in the song that might work too. I have some busy fills during the outro.

Thanks!