I need your help REALLY REALLY badly!

Dave_Mustaine84

Boogies Woogies
Nov 27, 2002
MillPark, Victoria, Australia
My sister put a new soundcard into the pc its a Creative Sound Blaster PCI, I think, when I go to record my guitar through the line-in using my V-Amp2, some how the sound card picks up everything like the tv in the other room and all the other background noise, even though im not using a mic to record with! I've tried putting the Mic on mute with the volume control but it still picks up everything aswell.

it even picks up Cool Edit Pro 2's metronome! even when i use headphones to output the sound with!

I'm quite sure that the Line-In doesn't have an inbuilt mic and neither does my pc, it worked perfectly fine before with the old soundcard (which had crappy sound btw).

I REALLY REALLY need to get this problem fixed so that I can record music again on my pc.

Cheers
Tez

It sounds like it's set to record "everything you hear". This is a MS Windows PC I assume? Even if you have those other inputs muted, if Windows is set to record "everything you hear" it's still going to record from ALL sources.

Open up your volume control panel (the one that has all the sliders for your different input sources... can be reached by double-clicking on the speaker icon in your task bar), then click on:

OPTIONS > PROPERTIES

Then where it says "ADJUST VOLUME FOR", select "RECORDING" here.

Then in the section below that, "Show the following volume controls", select everything relevant, including any called "What You Hear", or "Master", or "All Sources".

Click OK.

Now what pops up is the "RECORD CONTROL" panel (sliders for all your recording options)

You will probably see that it is set on "What You Hear", though this might be called something else... like "Master" or "All Sources" or something. You can only have one thing selected here at a time, so make sure the "Line-In" is selected that you have your guitar plugged into.

Then click OK.

Now when it records, it should work right.

If you see "mute" boxes, then you are looking at Play Control, not Record Control. By default, when you open volume properties, it will show you the Play Control. Follow my instructions above to get to Record Control.

When you're in the right place, you will see the word "SELECT" next to the check boxes, not "MUTE".

That's what I was talking about, I don't have "select" boxes in my record section, only "mute" boxes.

I use to have "select" boxes but after my sister got the soundcard changed they turned into "mute" boxes.

Does that help?

MetalMeshuggahMan said:
That's what I was talking about, I don't have "select" boxes in my record section, only "mute" boxes.

I use to have "select" boxes but after my sister got the soundcard changed they turned into "mute" boxes.

Does that help?

Was the original soundcard one built in to the mother board ? If so, it needs to be disabled. That is usually done by a jumper. If you have disabled it or your old card was a PCI card, then you may just have a "glitch" in your creative software.
In that case, I would go and remove, the software then the soundcard from "remove hardware" (in control panel) then cut your PC off and physically remove the soundcard. Reboot with no soundcard, allow Windows to complete the reboot, then shut down again, reinstall the soundcard and software. I hope this helps.

Bryant

MetalMeshuggahMan said:

Does that help?

Ahhh OK... I gotcha. Wow, that's kinda weird.

In addition to Bryant's advice, another thing to do is to make sure you have the latest drivers and software. Go to http://www.soundblaster.com and get all the latest driver/software updates for your card. There may be some kind of glitch in your combination that they have solved with an update. You'll probably find newer versions of both your drivers and the creative mixer application... either of those may be your answer.

Bryant said:
Was the original soundcard one built in to the mother board ? If so, it needs to be disabled. That is usually done by a jumper. If you have disabled it or your old card was a PCI card, then you may just have a "glitch" in your creative software.
In that case, I would go and remove, the software then the soundcard from "remove hardware" (in control panel) then cut your PC off and physically remove the soundcard. Reboot with no soundcard, allow Windows to complete the reboot, then shut down again, reinstall the soundcard and software. I hope this helps.

Bryant
Thanks for the info, im not sure if i'll be able to do all that as its my sister's PC and she's real anal about doing shit to it.

The new card in my pc is listed as "Creative AudioPCI (ES1370), SB PCI 64/128 (WDM)", I think its a real old card, i tryed looking it up at the SB site before and founded its manual, it was made in 1998!

Is this soundcard any good? is it too outdated for my pc?

If I am unable to do what Bryant suggested, what else could I do?

furthermore how can I make it so that my volume controls have "select" boxes again?

:erk:

Hmmm... that's not good, man. Being that old (and depending on your PC), there may be some compatibility issues here that will not be solvable.

Being that it's that old, I'm sure even the default drivers that come in Windows are probably the newest drivers you will find. Try to find a Creative Mixer software update on the Sounblaster web site. The Creative Mixer, as it is now anyway, would replace your Windows volume control with Creative's. This could solve your functionality problem.

If that doesn't work, I'm afraid I have no idea what you could try. This may never work, given the age of that card.

Just guessing here, but it's probably...

Soundblaster > 16 bit > Soundblaster Audio PCI

...though I'm sorry to say that if that's it, and if you're running WindowsXP, you're SOL, because there are no updates available (that card may just be too old I'm afraid).