I SWEAR TO GOD IF THIS BASS SOUNDS KEEPS ON EVADING ME

RichMinerva

New Metal Member
Jul 27, 2009
IM GOING TO PUNCH A PUPPY IN THE FACE!

where do you guys start with your bass?

i mainly do one di through my countryman

split one off and send it through an ampsim.

i then eq both of them. clean track i strip some of 500 and 800. lowpass to about 5 k and highpass to 65-70

the overdriven one i eq to taste...my problems here are compression! where would you guys start!?

Recently I've been more happy with my bass tones, and I've been doing it similar to how you described. I like to do the majority of the bass compression before splitting. Then straight DI I use just for lows below 200hz and amp sim for everything above. The DI I smash to hell with a limiter so the low end is more constant, but the amp sim track I leave with whatever movement is left from the initial compression.

EDIT: The amp sim track on this for me isn't heavily distorted. If I was going for some distortion I would have a 3rd track with some on it.

i always compress the bass to death, sometimes i use different compressors with different settings.

cheers
S.

Ola's Tutorial is pretty spot on, but you have to still work with it to get the tone right for you.

1, Split/Duplicate the DI's into two tracks; Hipass one at 300hz(18db/ocatave), Low-pass the other at 3000hz (18db/octave).
2. Before compressing the shit out of it, get rif of the peaks/nulls using Hi-Q Eq'ing. Harmonically Balance it.
3. De-Ess the the second track (the one with the 3000hz low-pass filter). Harmonically balance it before it hits the De-esser.
4. Buss them together and tweak.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now for the third track (overdriven):
Use TSE 808. Lowpass at 300hz (18db/octave). Highpass at 3000hz (18db/octave)
Get rid of peaks and nulls before compressing that. Harmonically balance it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buss the DI Buss and Distortion Buss together and tweak. No compression. Maybe a little tape saturation.
Narrow cut at 200hz to make room for the snare. Also a Cut in the 3khz region.

IMO the biggest mistake we beginners is making the Kick peak at 80hz. That's for Hard Rock. Make the Kick peak at 60hz and a downward/smooth slope all the way to 100hz.

You need that 100-120hz region for the guitar and bass ;)

IMO the biggest mistake we beginners is making the Kick peak at 80hz. That's for Hard Rock. Make the Kick peak at 60hz and a downward/smooth slope all the way to 100hz.

You need that 100-120hz region for the guitar and bass ;)

Sort of right but you can't just use this as a guideline for everything. This might work some of the time but it depends on the source. You just have to give everything some space.

Also - I would definitely compress the combined bass buss. Opto style compression will make it really cohesive. Careful with pre-compression EQ too, a lot of the time you're just going to undo some of it.