IAN GILLAN Says 'Fireball' Is His Favorite Album Of First DEEP PURPLE era

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
The career of legendary rock band DEEP PURPLE comprises three different eras, with the period between 1968 and 1973 rated as the creative highpoint.

"The reason 'Fireball' is my favorite album of that period is that without 'Fireball' we would never have been able to make 'Machine Head'," DEEP PURPLE singer Ian Gillan tells Holland's FaceCulture .

Gillan left the band in 1973, due to tensions between him and guitarist Ritchie Blackmore and the band continued with David Coverdale as their lead singer. Eventually DEEP PURPLE disbanded in 1976. The second period of the band started in 1984 with the comeback album "Perfect Strangers", and lasted until 1993 when Blackmore left after a European tour.

With the arrival of guitarist Steve Morse, DEEP PURPLE continues to tour and record.

Asked what his career highlight is, Gillan has a surprising answer. "For me, the most exciting time was actually joining DEEP PURPLE," he says. "Roger [Glover, bass] and I paid our dues. We joined PURPLE not only as a singer and a bass player, but as a songwriting team."

What do you know? I would have bet "Machine Head" was his favorite.