IGGY & THE STOOGES Drummer SCOTT ASHETON Dead At 64

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
IGGY & THE STOOGES drummer Scott Asheton passed away on Saturday, March 15. He was 64 years old.Scott Asheton played with IGGY & THE STOOGES from 1967 through the band's 2013 album, "Ready To Die". The drummer had been largely sidelined since 2011, when an undisclosed illness caused him to be rushed to the hospital while on tour in Europe."Scott was a great artist," Iggy Pop said in a statement. "I have never heard anyone play the drums with more meaning than Scott Asheton. He was like my brother. He and Ron have left a huge legacy to the world. The Ashetons have always been and continue to be a second family to me. My thoughts are with his sister Kathy, his wife Liz and his daughter Leanna, who was the light of his life."According to Wikipedia, Scott Asheton co-formed THE STOOGES in 1967 along with his older brother Ron, Pop and Dave Alexander. The original incarnation released two LPs on Elektra Records before moving through several lineup changes, releasing a third LP on Columbia Records in 1973 and disbanding the following year. The group reunited in 2003, did several live shows and recorded two albums of new material.

More...