I'm coming to America, need advice

Satanstoenail

My Larpstyle determines my Derpstyle
Sep 6, 2006
Arse End
Myself and my girlfriend are going to be in the U.S. for a holiday between mid September and Early October, staying in NYC for a week, then down to Orlando for a week, then back up to NYC for another week, then over to L.A. for a couple of days before heading home.

I'm wondering where to find info on what interesting things will be on and what bands will be touring while we're there, metal and non. I've tried googling gig guides and looking at myspace tour dates without much luck. If we don't find some stuff to do it's going to be nothing but clothes shopping the whole time we're there. Any help would be much appreciated.

as far as gigs go, have you tried using last.fm? You can search what bands are playing by city, and they usually have most of the bands playing. there was another site that did that too, but I can't remember.

EDIT: I remember

http://www.pollstar.com/

You are lucky that you're hitting up the east and west coasts, because you will be able to acquire tons of amazing beers. Out west you should find many esteemed double IPAs, and on the other side stuff like Dogfish Head and Unibroue and Ommegang. Maybe do a little research and see what stuff you can turn up. I have no idea which American beers you do get, but I guarantee you will find lots of beer to like.

as far as gigs go, have you tried using last.fm? You can search what bands are playing by city, and they usually have most of the bands playing. there was another site that did that too, but I can't remember.

EDIT: I remember

http://www.pollstar.com/

Excellent, this is exactly what I was after. Thanks for the link.

You are lucky that you're hitting up the east and west coasts, because you will be able to acquire tons of amazing beers. Out west you should find many esteemed double IPAs, and on the other side stuff like Dogfish Head and Unibroue and Ommegang. Maybe do a little research and see what stuff you can turn up. I have no idea which American beers you do get, but I guarantee you will find lots of beer to like.

I've got a list of good bars from one friend and am waiting on another list from another friend who is a beer connoisseur and was in NYC last year. Can't wait to sample some fine ales. Thanks for the tips.

Obituary & Unleashed

October 5 - New York, NY @ B.B. King Blues Club
October 7 - Philadelphia, PA @ Trocadero

Hmmm that Oct 5 show could be a goer. I've never seen Unleashed live. Cheers.

If you can try seeing a baseball game. It's something of a unique American experience.

or you could go see a NY Rangers game ;)
Sun, Oct 5 12:00 pm

Hah, yeah I'd be into that, we were thinking about maybe going to the basketball while we're there.

Edit: Just booked tix to see Mogwai through pollstar.com. Thanks again to XSASweet.

why so much time in NY? and i would reccomend you go to san francisco instead of LA. but thats just me. unless youre going to orlando and LA for disneyland!

anyways, i would just check out label sites and search for the towns youre going to be in.
~gR~

If you want to watch a hockey game you gotta go north and go see one in Montreal. Nothing beats the crazy Montreal hockey fans.

And I could go with you! :p

If you come to Orlando you should make the hour trip west to Tampa and I'll take you to some college parties bro. :cool:

P.S. There's not much to do in Tampa other than party, but there is a Busch Gardens. That shit's fun.