I'm new to this...

jimbob0530

New Metal Member
Jun 27, 2012
This a a mix for my band ( I am the guitarist). I really want to improve the sound but I've plateaued it seems. Any advice is helpful. I'm using Reaper as my daw, Amplitube 3 for guitars and bass, addictive drums for drums and a condenser for vocals.
Thank you.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/89852275/Mix.mp3

From what I hear there is a problem with the drums, the closed mics are too low in level and the overall sound of the drums is totally disconnected from thers instruments. I like the guitar tone and can't hear the bass in the mix. Try redefine the mix starting with your rhythmic section. Anyway I'm trying also to improve my mixing skills, I joined today the forum mainly for this! ;)

The drums could also use some humanization as well. And, personally i'd trim some of the low end fat from the guitar tone as it seems a little overly encumbered with bass.

The vocals don't sound bad, but in my opinion, they could use a bit more compression and some saturation to smooth and fill out the tone, so they don't sound so dry.

But still, not too bad for being new, Miles better than some of the people that live around me, who charge lots of money for "good" recordings, that really sound like shit.

It's got potential, keep working on it.

Thanks for the feedback! I will turn down the room mics and turn up the individual drum pieces. And as far as taking off guitar low end fat would I just eq them with the low end dropped or use a filter? And also I was wondering what should I side chain compress parts with? Like which tracks to which?