I'm researching LDC mics for my next purchase.

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
My considerations, if anyone has any reason why any of these suck clue me in please:

Used Options:

AKG 414: B-ULS, B XL IIC, or B TL II <---- Anyone know the difference? The only 414 that is out of the question obviously is the EB, plus wouldn't be all that stoked on owning a vinatage mic.

TLM 103 MT (because I dig black :lol:)

Boch Audio 195 (if I can find one used)

AT4047MP (again if I can find one used)

M Audio Sputnik

New options:

AKG C214

AT4050 (what do you prefer if you have heard both this mic and the 47?)

AT4047SV

TLM102

AKG perception 820

That's really it, I'm sort of looking for something workhorse. Doesn't have to work on everything, but doesn't just work on one thing well type of deal here.

The AT series of mics are absolutely superb. One of the charactaristics is ultra-fast transient reproduction, and quite bright, if that's your thing. Smooth top end as well.

Joe

The fact that you've said you need a workhorse instantly makes me think AT4050. Vocals, overheads, acoustics, guitar amps. This mic does it all and does it all very well imo. As Joe said it's pretty bright, but nice and smooth.

The 414 is also a good option, I used the B-ULS at college extensively. Like the 4050 it'll work on practically anything, though it's darker than the 4050.

run away from the TLM103...too bright and scooped. 414 works well on many things and AT4047 is GREAT. I have one and i dig it - it rocks on room tone, vocals and even some guitars. The 4050 also seems a nice choice - it is more flat, more neutral than the 4047, which ressembles a bit the 414, like someone said.

I have a feeling that when we say "bright" with these mics that doesn't translate into "harsh" :lol:.

Yeah, none of them are harsh mics, I find a mic can have a bright top end as long as it's smooth, where as a bright top end with a brittle sounding mic is pretty much terrible.

Joe

AKG 414s are mics that you can use on anything - The ULS is a bit darker and more of a straightforward "workhorse" mic, while the TLII is a bit brighter and airier (it was designed with vocals in mind) - I'd go for the ULS. I haven't used the newer 414s so I can't comment on those.

I'd agree with steering clear of the TLM103; in my opinion it's a terrible choice when there are so many other great mics out there in that price range.

You should also check out the Mojave MA-201 and the Shure KSM44 - both are great all-around mics.

the older 414s are a great mic, slightly bright but in a really pleasing way,.VEry smooth top end and much warmer (i know... horrible word) than most other cheaper Ldcs'

can't rememer which my fave is... its older thats for sure.

AT have clips of their mics on the homepage, which I found very helpful in comparing them without being able to test them myself. I downloaded the files and put them into Cubase so I could easily compare.

That test has made me plan to get a 4050.