I'm sick and tired of being told I am "narrow minded" because I like metal

MURAI

-
Nov 6, 2002
Canada
I am sure most of have been told we are narrow-minded when known we like heavy metal. They always tell us to "open up" and like different kinds of music and their idea of good music is Eminem. We are probably labelled as being narrow minded because most metallers take the music seriously since heavy metal is serious in its nature.

I dont think there's anything wrong with sticking with a type of music and being stubborn about it. I think that's better than being the typical music fan who likes everything but only takes it all in the most shallow way possible. Oh, it has a cool beat so I can bob my head with it and the alike. Or all they can see is just image when it comes to music.

I like some other types of music other than metal. Next to metal I listen to a lot of punk and some classical music.

Yeah I feel both of you's! In those statements. When I do the Metalunderground.com site under Madk. I get a lot of jeers for bagging on
emo bands and Nu-Metal bullshit. They're like quit being a hater and open
your mind a bit. And I'm like fuck off and I always ask them what is the name
of that particular site! :devil:

Amen , preach it brother. I understand completely as I have a girlfriend who listens to that top 40 radio bullshit and the hip hop and pop stations.

Fuck the critics. I like Metal, Classical music (Bach rules) and Classic Rock - anything other than that juts doesn't do it for me. If that's narrow-minded, then so be it.
If anyone criticizes your likes/dislikes - FUCK THEM.

I don't choose what moves me, it just does.

JB :OMG: :hotjump: :OMG: :headbang: :OMG: :hotjump: :OMG:

I'm sick of people bitching about how people go off on them about what they listen to!
I frankly don't care either way. I don't care what people think about what I like. I didn't when I was 13 & don't now at 32! I have think skin like a gator. Opinions are like noses, everyone has one. Remember recently when that religious fanatic when off on how Dime got what he had coming to him for playing the music that he did? I know people that busted a vein over the guy & started to get people to bust out threatening emails to the guy! Why?! You're just proving him right by acting uncivilized... There's so many other things that I could put my energy to use for...
And chew on this. There are people on here that think Van Halen with Roth is King, That KISS still rocks & they have credibility, Savatage is "the" metal band, ect.
Now is this narrow minded? Or is it an opinion?!

sixxswine said:
I'm sick of people bitching about how people go off on them about what they listen to!
I frankly don't care either way. I don't care what people think about what I like. I didn't when I was 13 & don't now at 32! I have think skin like a gator. Opinions are like noses, everyone has one. Remember recently when that religious fanatic when off on how Dime got what he had coming to him for playing the music that he did? I know people that busted a vein over the guy & started to get people to bust out threatening emails to the guy! Why?! You're just proving him right by acting uncivilized... There's so many other things that I could put my energy to use for...
And chew on this. There are people on here that think Van Halen with Roth is King, That KISS still rocks & they have credibility, Savatage is "the" metal band, ect.

Actually - I sent that guy a civilized rebuttal to his comments...

But I agree with what you said 100% dude. Fuck the critics...if you let them get to you, you're only fueling the firm most of the time. And opinions are gonna be different - regardles of HOW idiotic some of them seem to be.

JB

Jean-Pierre said:
I hear ya man. I can't stand those people who say they like "variety" when you know that they mean "top 40 radio."
exactly. and they think "underground" is blink-182 or Chevelle. :ill:

when i say i listen to a shitload of things, i mean fusion jazz blues rock alternative classical folk and METAL but just because i love metal doesn't make me narrowminded by any means.

in fact, anyone who judges someone's musical intellect based on their affiliation with any one genre is the narrowminded one.

USMC0341 said:
Actually - I sent that guy a civilized rebuttal to his comments...

But I agree with what you said 100% dude. Fuck the critics...if you let them get to you, you're only fueling the firm most of the time. And opinions are gonna be different - regardles of HOW idiotic some of them seem to be.

JB
I have no doubt you did! Yeah, if you give them the reaction they want, they've won & it in return will eat you up. Like I know you have no interest in listening to any emo, that's cool. I happen to like 2-3 bands that I feel are doing something a little different. Will you listen? Probably not. That's cool does that make you narrow minded? or does that me me a trend whore?! You can look at this from so many angles... Listen to what you like!

So what if we are narrow minded (I know I am)? I rather have a narrow mind than a broad ass like some critics.

Do as you want, live free and damn the rest!

Im sick of these Christians I come in contact with (mostly at work) telling me that the music I listen to is evil and you become what you listen to. Fuck that, I will listen to bands like Deicide, Mercyful Fate, Venom, Celtic Frost, and many others and it will never make me a satanist or worship the devil like they think it will. They are also very narrow minded and have no clue what they are talking about when they say all metal is the same and its all evil. When has Saxon or Queensryche or Stratovarius ever talked about satanism or being anti-religious. People need to open their minds and stop being such assholes. Then there are the trend fuckers who criticize too. They are a whole nother story, fuck them.

TheGraveDigger said:
Im sick of these Christians I come in contact with (mostly at work) telling me that the music I listen to is evil and you become what you listen to. Fuck that, I will listen to bands like Deicide, Mercyful Fate, Venom, Celtic Frost, and many others and it will never make me a satanist or worship the devil like they think it will. They are also very narrow minded and have no clue what they are talking about when they say all metal is the same and its all evil. When has Saxon or Queensryche or Stratovarius ever talked about satanism or being anti-religious. People need to open their minds and stop being such assholes. Then there are the trend fuckers who criticize too. They are a whole nother story, fuck them.

Don't even get me started on those fucking people. And by those people, I mean anyone who uses their religious beliefs to judge and condemn others - regardless of what they preach./

Here's the only commandment anyone should worry about:

"Thou shalt keep thine own religion to thyself"

JB

It's not so much the accusation itself that's frustrating, it's the assumption that because you say you like Metal then you don't listen to anything else. It's retarded beyond belief and the prejudice doesn't seem to affect any other genre - you ever heard someone being called narrow-minded for liking jazz, or video game music? :loco: So I'm narrow-minded for liking Metal...and how many Saltus albums do you have in your collection then? :loco:

If anyone needs to flaunt their 'open-mindedness' or 'alternative taste' like that then they're blatantly full of shit, they are the narrow-minded ones for not appreciating Metal! Point that out to them, enquire about their own tastes, point out how limited they are and watch them fume :Smug:
Or just tell them to Fuck Off and twat 'em in the face if they don't. That's good :headbang:

I know what i like, i know what i don't like. I listen to what i like, i don't listen to what i don't like, Simple as that. If that makes me "narrow-minded", that's fine by me. .

Good stuff here. Yeah...you gotta like what YOU like and say sianara (sp?) to the rest of the crew! hehe

By the way, VANHALENWITHROTHISKING and KISSRULESTEDSWORLD4EVER! hahaha

Anyways, I love metal and always will but I like everything from Lyle Lovett to Bond to Slayer to Merle Haggard. Music is like food to me, I love it all!!!! But I am not a "shallow" listener meaning that I appreciate music on many levels, not just the fluff. ALthough I do likes me some fluff now and again!!!

I will make a confession : I bought Christina Aguilera's cd, STRIPPED when it came out. Why? Well, for one the cover rocks my world! And two, I really do think she can sing. But I mainly bought it for the cover. hahahaha BUT anyways, what's wrong with a guy listening to top 40 and then throwing on some MINOR THREAT or BACKYARD BABIES the same day?????

You gotta think for yourself and start LIVING. "L I V I N" as Wooderson says...

tedvanfrehley said:
I will make a confession : I bought Christina Aguilera's cd, STRIPPED when it came out. Why? Well, for one the cover rocks my world! And two, I really do think she can sing. But I mainly bought it for the cover. hahahaha BUT anyways, what's wrong with a guy listening to top 40 and then throwing on some MINOR THREAT or BACKYARD BABIES the same day?????
I haven't gone that far. Why on earth didn't you just invest in a fuck mag?!:tickled:
I don't listen to top 40. But if you were to spend a day with the Swine you'd hear Six Feet Under, Arch enemy, Killswitch Engage, Motley Crue, The Hellacopters, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Clapton, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marvelous 3 & so much more... Fuck. I have been listening to stuff that is on the lighter side, but you know what? The songwriting is out of this fucking world! Hell I have even gotten into The Rolling Stones, That Stripped Record they put out smokes...