Imagika - My Bloodied Wings

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Imagika - My Bloodied Wings
Crash Music - CMU 61178 - 2006
By Brandon Strader

Imagika-MyBloodyWings.jpg

Great thrash comes in many varieties, some more favorable than others, and some that are downright bad... Thrash heavyweights Imagika are here to show that thrash can be fun for the whole family. Or not. But one thing is for sure, these guys fit into the former category of favorable variety.

My Bloodied Wings opens with an instrumental track with guitar leads squealing in the left and right channel, and some fancy flamenco-type guitar playing as well as a rhythm acoustic in the middle, amongst percussion... Quite a little stack of sound there that could have turned into a mush of sound if not for the nice production! You can hear the flamenco solo perfectly in the middle with the acoustic guitar underneath.

As some proof for that "fun for the whole family" statement above, Imagika's My Bloodied Wings was played aloud for my family to hear. My mother quite enjoyed the percussion, as she said it had a nice beat... what ever that means... The percussion is played very smoothly, and actually has a good tone to it, as if maybe it is not triggered? Not too sure on that, but it sounds great. My father enjoys the heavy thrashing and technical riffs of the guitarists, which go so far and beyond just powerchords... There is enough speed to make things interesting, and enough leads to make things seem very complex. Some great solos thrown in here and there as well! The one downfall, as we all agreed, is the vocals. We have no problem with thrash vocals, as we had all partied hard when Kreator's Enemy of God came out, and such. This vocalist definitely has a lot of skill and potential with this work, but his falsetto vocals - which he uses pretty frequently - go out of key sometimes. This happens a heck of a lot on the first song, though it sounds like it is intentional, as the vocals are far too tight to be mistakes. The part that wasn't fun for the family were the growls, also. The old ones don't like growls.

My Bloodied Wings is not boring at all, and makes for a good headbanging session. In fact, it's so enjoyable, that one might injure their necks! Imagika and UltimateMetal are NOT responsible for damages done to your neck or any kind of brain damage from listening to My Bloodied Wings, though this release is completely recommended to thrash and heavy metal fans!

8/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Official Imagika Website
Official Crash Music Website

Wolftribe said:
You are not very good at writing reviews.
Thank you sir, may I have another?

You know in the week since this has been published, I haven't had anyone else tell me such things. Sure, I'm not at a business level where I can persuade people to like or buy anything, but I can tell it like it is, and if you hear it and enjoy it because the review made it sound like something you'd like, then great... What exactly are you looking for in a review? When reviews are taken too far, the writer either dwells on the faults of the album to the point of making it sound like it would be horrible, or praises it to a higher level than would be justified... If this review isn't good enough to satisfy your curious bone, perhaps you should buy the album? :)