Immolation - Harnessing Ruin

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Immolation – Harnessing Ruin
Listenable Records – 2005
By Adam McAuley

HarRuinSm.jpg

If Unholy Cult was a bit of a change for these long-time Gods of death metal, then Harnessing Ruin is simply a refinement. The dissonant, twisted passages of that album meld with a considerable increase in speed to create a platter that isn’t perhaps as distinguishable in sound as previous albums, but packs its own punch.

Some of the bands’ catchiest riffs are present…see the mind-numbingly rollicking “Our Savior Sleeps” for an example of this, as the verse riff is among their best. The title track is a standout, as usual, but that isn’t a surprise. “Dead to Me” is another strong cut, at times a little slower, but no less suspenseful than the rest of the album.

What really caught my attention with the album in general, though, was the increase in veracity over previous efforts, because otherwise it’s really just another strong album from one of death metal’s long running greats. Ross Dolan still sounds as evil as ever, the band still play with a dedicated fervor and the production still resounds with a sound reminiscent of the lowest depths of Hell.

I couldn’t really ask for any more from Immolation at this point, but it’ll be interesting to see how they develop in the future. Close to a World Below is superior and Unholy Cult is about equal in terms of quality from my point of view. But this will still be one of the better death metal albums of 2005, no question.

8.5/10

Official Listenable Records wesite
Official Immolation website