In Flames interview in Metal-Rules.Com

Archtur

Sep 5, 2005
Hey all of you - check out the interview with Anders Friden and Bjorn Gelotte from In Flames, published in Metal-Rules.Com

https://www.metal-rules.com/2019/01/27/in-flames-anders-friden-and-bjorn-gelotte/

IMG_2332-585x390.jpg

"We don’t make radio songs." - ok.

I mean, there's no shame in trying to make a radio hit on a record, but at least don't deny it.

"We don’t make radio songs." - ok.

I mean, there's no shame in trying to make a radio hit on a record, but at least don't deny it.

Yeah, that's a pretty weird thing to say. What the fuck are songs like Liberation, Through Oblivion, The Truth and House if not radio songs? It's not like IF need to deny it to keep their underground metal cred. That disappeared a long time ago.

Anders: That’s why I’ve gone into a lot of electronic music, simply because that is a whole new level. There is so much you can do with that type of music and that type of sound source.

No surprise there.

Anders: Another thing I would like to mention is that when people look from the outside, when they look at our band. They think because we’ve been going through changes musically and also in time of course. People are like “You are so influenced by this, this”. We are like “No, not so much”. When it comes to writing our music, we live in 2019. Our inspiration comes from what we heard when we were young. At that point. That’s still something that inspire us. What we always go back to is those heavy metal albums, the rest in between. It sounds great. That is not our inspiration.

Yeah, bullshit.

Björn : Working with Howard was.., I think, for the first time we listened to someone by an outside. We always have people recording us and producing us in a sense. It’s always been our way – In Flames way or not at all. For working with him we figured, he’s very good at what he does. He’s super experienced. Maybe we should listen to the guy and see what he has to say. Then basically what he did was just make sure that we didn’t fuck around. Make sure that we actually did what we’re good at. Trying to get to the essence of what In Flames is. He didn’t change anything, he just made us better.

Bullshit again. If they wanted somebody to stop them "fucking around" why not go back to Nordstrom rather than Howard "big hits" Benson? Odd choice for a band who supposedly don't do radio songs.

Tell me a little about the lyrics on the I, THE MASK album. In general what do you deal with your lyrics on the album?

Anders : My demons.

:D yeah, of course. Just like every other album since Clayman. That's a lot of demons.

I don't think Liberation is a radio song, especially since it wasn't released as a single. Commercial, sure, and a radio edit version could have been released as a single, but Deliver Us fits the criteria better from that record.

And not going back to Nordstrom is not necessarily bullshit. Obviously they did not enjoy working with him anymore, and it was not worth for them to trade fighting lazyness with Nordstrom pushing down his ideas on their throats.