In Gowan Ring - Psychedelic Folk for you hippie types

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
While they're a little too mellow for my tastes, I'm quite certain many of you would take a liking to these blokes. I hear them frequently on live365 and thought I would share. :dopey:

Dug up a review of Twin Trees penned by a Trader Joe's bag boy. Demilich you would fap fap fap to this band. I'm sure Moose is already well familiar.

Review;

The Twin Trees was In Gowan Ring's second album, and it celebrates its 10th anniversary this year. Originally released by the now defunct, but legendary World Serpent Productions, The Twin Trees was given a loving treatment by Swiss label Shayo last year, and it is now widely available again with new artwork and a bonus track.

B'eirth had debuted in 1994 with the psychedelic Love Charms, and this album is an evolution of that original psych folk sound, though quite different. The Twin Trees is on the whole a very relaxed album, with a little less weirdness than previous one. The basic elements of early In Gowan Ring are there, though: many different instruments (B'ee, quite correctly, calls it an "instrumentrove")and long spun tracks with many instrumental parts and elaborate experiments. The more recent style, more geared towards proper modern folk songs, was not yet very present.

The songs on this album are based around single themes, that are explored thoroughly, with some variations or interludes at the end. The musical landscape varies from wonderfully calm, long drowsy spells, to excited pieces of ritual dance. The opener is relatively upbeat, as is "One Silver Ring", which perhaps comes closest to B'eirth's current style, because of it's folky structure and lyrics. "Stone Song III" is a continuation of (you guessed it) "Stone Song II" from Love Charms, and it's one of those dances I was telling you about. An instrumental piece with delicate percussion and that mix of instruments that produces this trademark In Gowan Ring sound. The title track is quite different, with almost nothing but double bass as the instrumental background behind the soft vocals. "Lady Beyond The River" is one of my favourites, a long track based around a single dreamy theme, perfectly done with bass, piano, flute and wordless female backing vocals. "By Moss Strand And Waterspathe" is one of the best testaments to B'eirth's talent at making intresting drone/ambient pieces. Water samples, bells, bowls, drones, chants, it's all there. I quite prefer this to the ones on the album following this one, The Glinting Spade. The album proper ends with two vocal tracks again. The bonus track, "Still Water Bonne" appeared on the Terra Serpentes compilation those ten years ago, and it is a worthy addition to the album. The song has a catchy melody and great atmosphere, and it slightly anticipated the style of later neofolk bands like Orplid and Forseti.

Folk purists are best advised to take a look at B'eirths more recent work as Birch Book first and foremost, as are people who highly value variation in music. Those, however, who are comfortable with an extremely long trip into the depths of excellent psych folk need look no further. The Twin Trees envelops you into the cozy warmth of B'ees universe, a feeling of being in the woods, surrounded by the love and mysteries of nature. Like the Twin Trees on the new cover, reaching out and embracing eachother, forming a big heart. An absolute classic.

MP3's here

Good band with an authentic autumnal feel, but all the songs are basically the same. Their Hazel Steps through a Weathered Home album is quite the must-own, and that's all there is to them IMO.

but all the songs are basically the same.

That is the vibe I received as well. This thread is more of a heads up to the sandal wearing social libertarians of the board, than it is an RIA endorsement. They offer something I'll tap my foot to in passing, but I don't see myself spending my hard earned copecks to acquire any of their works. This here is Moooose music.

Heard a few songs, but I wasn't too thrilled or interested in hearing more.

This reminds me of a couple recos I've been meaning to do.