in this thread we will discuss country/roots music

avi

W3RK3R
Aug 21, 2002
Oly, WA
www.itsatrap.com
and to start it off, xfer- I haven't listened to much Ralph Stanley, but he does indeed have a great voice. I know he's very well respected, that's for sure. but yeah, lots of country folk have problems sometimes with choosing poor songwriters.

rootsy stuff I purchased earlier this week:

Emmylou Harris - Stumble into grace

Waylon Jennings - best of RCA years 2xCD

and some Finnish/Swedish folk stuff

I'm think about picking up that new Louvin Bros. tribute, but am hesitant. Also will probably buy some Dolly Parton before my upcoming road trip. Maybe other stuff, too. Who knows?

If I remember over this weekend, I'll put up an mp3 track of Ralph Stanley and point out exactly what I'm talking about.

Note that I think motW sometimes has unconventional "fitting", too, and it's not always a bad thing. It just doesn't work in Ralph's case.

no, but David Grisman plays regularly at various events in my neighborhood, incl the local high school fundraisers.

I haven't listened to too much bluegrass since I'm more of a honky-tonk sorta dude

Avi, I had Johnny Cash's performance of "Girl From the North Country" on a mix CD and my roommates insisted it was NOT Bob Dylan he was dueting with. It does sound weird, but, I mean, Bob Dylan totally got weird-sounding later in life. Could there be two versions, both studio, one without Bob Dylan, and I accidentally put the Dylanless one on the CD? I don't know whether to be like "no way guys i'm right" or "oh whoops".

Dylan wrote the song, but it was recorded by quite a few folk including both dylan and cash on their own. the most famous is probably the Nashville Skyline version with both of em.