Indiana State Fair Stage Collapses

Indeed fucked up....i wasnt at the fair but i did get caught in that same storm front and it was some crazy shit....and im by no means a structural engineer but doesnt those truss supports look really high...considering the width of the stage?

From my meager experience with trussing in averse conditions (or even perfect conditions for that matter), relying solely on ballasts is suicide. I am baffled they had no bracing/harnessing of the stage itself. It is always best if these light-metal constructions are always signed off by a structural engineer but this is almost impossible to expect at most events sadly.

At my job we've been setting up a decent sized stage for the opening week at the college and we've gotten tons of comments about this thing and it's getting incredibly annoying.

We did rent some trusses and other items from a company and they apparently had the info on why it failed and it's just pure stupidity.

1. The stage was built over 80ft high when the legal limit is around 60ft high (ours is over 25ft high and the thought of something over three times bigger than what we have is ridiculous).
2. The tarp on top was not secured with bungie cables which give when gusts of wind hit it hard enough. They used zip ties instead which do not give very well and was very good at making a giant sail for that 70 mph wind.
3. The stakes that they put into the ground were put into wet ground...they were pointless.

Sorry, but three strikes and your out. This is seriously going to be annoying to hear comments and the potential regulations that come out of this.