Indie labels

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
To the people who may be or have been signed to an independant label....

Our band may be signing to one. Can you describe to me any pros/cons of these types of labels? We haven't signed anything, but the guy has been interested in us for a long time. Just wanted to try and get some outside opinions and views on this subject.

Fuck labels.

Also read this:

http://ironhidemetal.com/2011/06/29/fuck-iain-gilbert-and-six-nightmares-productions/

Just something that happened to some locals and friends of ours. weird thing is lochlan(in the band) is a really smart dude and knows a lot of people/knows his shit. Very strange to see him in this situation.

my question is what will you gain from this signing? what will this label do that you can't do on your own?

How are you defining "indie?" I've had deals with Relapse, Tribunal and currently Candlelight and they've all had benefits and problems. If you mean super indie, like a guy that presses CD's for you but doesn't have much (or any) distro power or the ability to get you on tours then there isn't much point anymore. However, if you want a recording budget and to tour with bands you've heard of before a label can still be quite valuable.

How are you defining "indie?" I've had deals with Relapse, Tribunal and currently Candlelight and they've all had benefits and problems. If you mean super indie, like a guy that presses CD's for you but doesn't have much (or any) distro power or the ability to get you on tours then there isn't much point anymore. However, if you want a recording budget and to tour with bands you've heard of before a label can still be quite valuable.

This.
I personally now after being on one would much prefer having a really great booking agent over anything else. If you don't have the cash to record and all that it can be something really awesome. If it's a big label, it wouldn't hurt to have a lawyer look at the contract.