Infernal Combustion Appreciation Thread

chupe666

You may enter up to 25 ch
Apr 11, 2002
Where you live
www.chupetunes.com
http://www.infernalcombustion.com/

It's like The Onion on metal.
I dug those new logos they had for Morbid Angel and Nile.

DIO REPLACES OZZY IN "OSBOURNES" TV CAST
Osbournes.gif

"I mean, imagine if Buddy Holly hadn’t died in that plane crash. You think he wanted to? You think it was an accident? Stuff like that doesn’t just happen, man. If he was still farting around now, he’d be playing state fairs and oldies festivals, and we’d never have had that one song, ‘The Day the Music Died.’ Can you imagine the loss? I’m saying we as musicians owe it to our legacy, and to our children yet unborn, to dick around for years on end between albums.""

Lifted from:
http://www.infernalcombustion.com/Issue19/kernon.htm

NEIL KERNON TO PRODUCE EVERY CD FROM NOW TILL 2003
in-demand knob-turner "can't stop working"

CHICAGO, IL - Metal uber-producer Neil Kernon, who made his name in the ‘80s producing and mixing such revered works as Queensryche’s Rage for Order, Dokken’s Under Lock and Key, and Judas Priest’s Unleashed in the East, has announced plans detailing his involvement in every single piece of music released to the public for the next two years. It is a massive undertaking, and one for which Kernon is well-prepared.

"Hey, I’ve been in this biz for years, mate," the British-born Kernon said from his Chicago apartment. "From my work with Priest and Queensryche, all the way to stuff like Shy’s Excess All Areas, Helix’s Wild in the Streets, Lynch Mob’s Wicked Sensation, and XYZ’s Hungry, I, through my company, Auslander, approach every producing and mixing gig with the utmost seriousness. No one band is more important than the other. That’s how you go about this. It’s certainly how I’m approaching my upcoming project: the solo debut of Queensryche frontman Geoff Tate. Geoff and I go way back, and it’ll be a privilege to work with him again."

The last 12 months have been busy for Kernon. His credits have run the gamut from prog rock (Shadow Gallery’s Legacy) to fusion (the upcoming Addition by Subtraction from McGill/Manring/Stevens), European power metal (Labyrinth’s controversial Sons of Thunder) to fringe-dwelling murder metal (Macabre’s Dahmer). As his plans indicate, he has no intention of slowing down.

"I love my work," Kernon said via phone from Los Angeles, where he’s laying down tracks for Chris Cornell’s collaboration with the Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine. "My work is all I know."

Kernon’s resume is filled with diversity, working with bands like Hall & Oates, Flotsam & Jetsam, Petra, Nevermore, Nihil, Britny Fox, The Clay People, Spiral Architect, Peter Gabriel, Heaven’s Edge, Podunk, Kansas, and Yes singer Jon Anderson. His plan is to continue that diversity by involving himself in every album released over the next two years.

"Is it gonna be a huge task? Fuck yeah, it’s gonna be a huge task," Kernon admitted via e-mail from New York, where he’s working with diva du jour Jennifer Lopez on her follow-up to the chart-topping J.Lo. Kernon, who will be credited as "N.Kern," wants to bring a more edgy sound to J.Lo’s music that he feels Sean "Puffy" Combs’ work lacked.

"Puff Daddy knows his shit," Kernon said. "But I have unleashed an energy inside J.Lo that I haven’t seen since I pushed Asgeir Mickelson into turning in that phenomenal drum performance on Spiral Architect’s A Sceptic’s Universe. And my God," he added. "That caboose!"

Combs, now going by "P. Diddy," had no direct response to Kernon’s comments, aside from a hail of gunfire aimed at the Auslander offices, and the following emotional statement issued through his publicist:

"Uh-huh, yeah. That’s right. Uh-huh."

Kernon is a self-described "workaholic" and has earned the respect of all of his associates.

"Hell yeah, we flew through the Legacy sessions," explained Shadow Gallery frontman Mike Baker. "He was even working over the phone with Labyrinth while editing sound files for us at the same time. The man is amazing."

Sometimes, even Kernon is amazed at the quality of his work.

"You’d think it would suffer," he explained via fax from Nashville, mixing the upcoming release of country trio SheDaisy. "But I just keep going and going!"

Other than every album that’s to be released, what’s next for Kernon?

"Producing and mixing, you know what I mean, mate?" he laughed via carrier pigeon from a plumbing-free hovel in Havana, where he’s putting the finishing touches on the upcoming release from 94-year-old Cuban armonico legend Compay Segundo. "And I’m not talking just with established artists like Ricky Martin, Eminem, The Three Tenors, Bruce Springsteen, Fates Warning, Rush, Alanis Morrissette, Johnny Cash, U2, Bon Jovi, David Lee Roth, Cannibal Corpse, Eric Clapton, BulletBoys, Dweezil Zappa, Black Sabbath, Paul McCartney, Daft Punk, Tom Petty, Emperor, Yngwie Malmsteen, Sarah Brightman, Krisiun, Enya, Branford Marsalis, Anal Cunt, Bjork, Type O Negative, Anthrax, The Black Crowes, Mortvar, Michael Crawford, Nocturnal Rites, Yanni, Ennio Morricone, Motorhead, Kamelot, Kid Rock, Axel Rudi Pell, Gov’t Mule, The Flower Kings, Gorguts, Tiamat, or Robin Trower, all of whom I have pencilled in for next week. No, I’m talking indie bands, unsigned bands. I’m unstoppable!"*

Despite his dedication to his craft, some are a bit unnerved by Kernon’s almost obsessive love of music.

"I was in my shower the other morning, just singing my stuff, you know, working on melodies and shit," explained Brad Koralewski, frontman of unsigned Toledo, Ohio band Velvet Sleep. "I open the shower curtain, and there’s this British dude squatting on my toilet, holding a portable handheld Radio Shack recorder in one hand and a cup of tea in the other. It sorta freaked me out. I said ‘What the fuck?’ and the dude hands me a business card and jumps out the window. I didn’t know it was Neil Kernon. I mean, I’ve seen his name on some shit, but really, what the fuck? Good thing I wasn’t spankin’ off, ya know? You wanna know what’s really disturbing? I don’t even have tea in my kitchen!"

- Mark Tinta (story produced and engineered by Neil Kernon for Auslander)