Info about Chris Williamson/Normandy Sound (Cro-Mags, Leeway)

OctoberRust

Likes the TS9DX
Aug 6, 2008
Germany
Hey,

anyone know details about the recording of the two records? Like what equipment was used, mixing etc.?

- Cro-Mags "Best Wishes" (1998)
- Leeway "Desperate Measures" (1991)

They were produced at Normandy Soun Studios by Chris Williamson.

I doubt that I'll anything or much, but I will!

Maybe a little Off-Topic:
Some time ago I was in touch with Michael Gibbons of Leeway after playing with them on their last (kind of) reunion tour in Europe. I'm not sure if they used their live-equipment for record but I guess so because it sounded 100% like their record - they're playing too. I was really impressed, it was one of the best shows I've ever been to. He and A.J. where playing Les Paul Customs through Marshall Amps. Not sure if they were just 800s or MKIIs. But I guess they had those rented for the tour, but on all the pictures taken in the U.S. I saw they were always with (older) Marshalls. Michael used two Boss pedals. One was a delay, can't remember the other one. He always had one switched on and always pushed both when changing, so they'd just flip. Don't know if that helps you out but that's all I know...

I receveived a reply from Chuck Rubano so I'm hoping to get information about the Cro-Mags's recording. I'd really like to know what they did to get that bass sound. But like Leeway it has (of course) a lot to do with playing. Have you seen Harley play bass? That's just insane...

More Off-Topic: I'm covering "Rise And Fall" with my own band :headbang:

Nice man! Thanks for the reply. I didn't know a lot of folk were into the old school hardcore/thrash thing here. Interesting about the amps..."Mark of the Squealer" even sounds like a Mesa Mark series to me.

-Joe

I didn't know a lot of folk were into the old school hardcore/thrash thing here.

count me in for old school stuff, I just don't fuckin' know anything. I've been checking back on this thread to see what unfolds, so please post what you find (anyone that is). ironically, I don't have either of those albums, just Age of Quarrel and Born to Expire.

Been a lot into Leeway's Born to Expire & Desperate Measures albums lately, i would love to hear some production info on those records.

I can't believe that it's been done in 1987-1989, considering how amazing the production is. Not to mention the songs kick ass and were ahead of their time. I LOVE the drums sound and playing by the way. Pokey Mo (currently playing in Agnostic Front, also been in Merauder during the Five Deadly Venoms (my fav. Merauder album) era).