info on parametric eq's

ziggy1706

New Metal Member
Aug 6, 2004
iw as wonderin, is a parametric eq differernt from a graphic eq? does it owrk beter, and what brand would be best for a mrshall jcm 900 slx 100 head? furman? i owuld like ot keep the sound as analog as posible, not digital. something suitable or more, for death, speed metal.

The parametric EQ is the most flexible type of EQ. It operates just like a sweepable EQ but gives you one other control, the bandwidth, or Q. With the bandwidth control you can choose whether you're cutting or boosting a large range of frequencies or a very specific range of frequencies. For example, you might boost a four-octave band centered at 1000Hz, or you might cut a very narrow band of frequencies, a quarter of an octave wide, centered at 1000Hz.

A graphic EQ is way different, not quite as flexible. You can actually see graphically which frequencies are cut and boosted by looking at the sliders. Each slider is called a band and it represents a frequency. The bandwidth on a 10-band graphic is one octave. The bandwidth on a 31-band graphic is one third of an octave. Obviously the more bands you have the more precise you can get in shaping your sound.

I don't think any particular brand lends itself to any style of music it's basically how you use it to shape your sound. As far as brands go check out Rane, ART, DBX, Presonus.

Hope this helps!

Very comprehensive summary above, I'd just like to add that if you're looking for a guitar EQ pedal, pretty much all of them are graphic EQ's, and for just shaping a guitar sound, those are perhaps ideal due to being very straightforward to use.