Reviewer
Jun 20, 2004
London
www.geocities.com
Insision – Revealed And Worshipped
Wicked World – WICK17CD – 19.07.04
By Anna Novitzky

insision.jpg

There are some people who believe that you should always stretch yourself, pushing to the limits of your ability and beyond. There are others who believe that you should stick to what you know. I bet I can guess which camp Insision fall into. They’re the kind of band that give you the impression that they know what they want, have found it, and are holding onto it to the bitter end.

What they want, and have achieved, is brutal, pared down death metal. There isn’t an awful lot more to be said about it. Revealed And Worshipped is thirty-four minutes and twenty-two seconds of downtuned riffage and guttural growling that would probably reach in through your ears to rip out your brain and eat it raw, if only it wasn’t so darn repetitive. Now, I’ll admit that that’s a rather churlish comment, considering how good Insision are at what they actually do. Their snarling guitars, angry drums and hoarse vocals are up there with the best of them, but the sheer relentless aural butchery serves as a turn-off after a while. Track after track of tormented savagery all starts to merge into one, titillating and intriguing, but finally leaving the listener cold. It’s as if Insision were so hell-bent on massacring ‘the hated melodic death metal approach’ that they forgot to put anything in its place; like a post-revolution country that has neglected to choose a new leader, Revealed And Worshipped founders wildly, directionless.

The very occasional nods towards progress, such as the short spoken word (spoken growl?) section at the start of the title track, only serve to highlight this essential deficiency. Revealed And Worshipped is an album that goes back to basics and stays there. The simplicity is refreshing, but, in the end, it just isn’t enough.

6/10

Offical Insision Website
Official Earache Website

I agree with the review, good band, but this and the previous release all blend into one. A little diversity would not hurt.
Not worthy of many repeated listens.