Interesting bit about Duncan blackouts

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
I've been researching these, and am planning on getting the bridge model (and maybe neck) to try out, but apparently Duncan supplies 25k pots with them, which is of course a ridiculously low impedance compared to the 1 Meg pots EMG supplies with theirs. So I guess it won't be as easy a matter of switching the quick connects if I wanna do a shootout, but at least Duncan's wiring diagrams kick ass! I wonder why they advise using such low impedance pots with theirs, though...

EDIT: Nevermind, EMG uses 25k pots too! Don't know why I thought they were 1 Mohm, but I guess this confirms that one can switch between the two with zero problems! :loco:

I'm planning on going for the AHB-1, yeah, and probably just the bridge model - the 85 has really turned me off from the idea of trying the neck model, but if I can find one for a good price on the 'bay, I'll snag it and give it a go. The same goes for the AHB-2, which is called the "Blackout Metal" rather than just Blackout, though surprisingly has an Alnico V magnet (rather than the more aggressive and compressed Ceramic in the AHB-1 bridge and EMG 81); on the other hand, on Duncan's tone chart, it has way more bass and mids than the AHB-1's, so I figure it's a super hi-output bass monster for n00bs, but I still wouldn't mind giving it a whirl! I figure I'll see if I like the Blackout Bridge more than the 81 or 85 first, then take it from there!

I'm planning on going for the AHB-1, yeah, and probably just the bridge model - the 85 has really turned me off from the idea of trying the neck model, but if I can find one for a good price on the 'bay, I'll snag it and give it a go. The same goes for the AHB-2, which is called the "Blackout Metal" rather than just Blackout, though surprisingly has an Alnico V magnet (rather than the more aggressive and compressed Ceramic in the AHB-1 bridge and EMG 81); on the other hand, on Duncan's tone chart, it has way more bass and mids than the AHB-1's, so I figure it's a super hi-output bass monster for n00bs, but I still wouldn't mind giving it a whirl! I figure I'll see if I like the Blackout Bridge more than the 81 or 85 first, then take it from there!

Ah gotcha...Well I look forward to the clips.

-Joe

I have them installed on a guitar I built. I absolutely love them. Ive had 81's but thought about giving these a try and Im happy I did. If you want DI's of them I can see what I can setup.

FWIW The guitar techs at my local music shop hate the hardware that comes with the blackouts. Supposedly the pots and wires are really cheap and it's hard is to get solder to stick on them but if you're using EMG hardware or something different you might feel safer keeping it :)

I have them installed on a guitar I built. I absolutely love them. Ive had 81's but thought about giving these a try and Im happy I did. If you want DI's of them I can see what I can setup.

If you still have the 81 to compare, that'd rule dude! Otherwise, though, I figure I'll just buy my own, cuz I really can't judge until I've heard it in my axe. Thanks though!

OH, and if anyone wants to do a straight swap of ANY kind of blackout (AHB-1 bridge or neck, or AHB-2) for an EMG 85 with quick-connect pins, let me know!

I've been seriously considering getting a pair of Blackouts for my main axe, but haven't decided yet. It'll either be Blackouts or a Barenuckle in the bridge. Let me know how you like the Blackouts, Metaltastic.

Fuck yeah man, which one are you offering? (neck, ideally) My 85 is like a month old, and while it does have some routing to the body of the pickup and the little pins with the threaded nuts on them (so it could fit in the direct-mount cavities on my Ibanez), it's 100% structurally and sonically intact!

Yeah I could use another 85, and I don't like the Blackouts.... So it's all yours. I'd rather give up the bridge since that's where I would put the 85, and which ever blackout is in the neck actual sounds ok for cleans and such so I'd like to keep it there... But it really doesn't matter to me.

PM me and lets get these swapped.