Interview with Lords of Metal Ezine

MyBlackHeart

Jan 5, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Text: Nima
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, congratulations with your second album 'Patents Of Control'. After the release of the debut 'Lies In Black' you've shared the stage with a lot of great names and worked on the new album in the meantime. What influence did the tours and gigs have on the band musically?

Dan: Thank you. Yes, we did a lot of work after the release of 'Lies In Black' and we are honored to have shared the stage with some of the best bands in Metal such as, Exodus, Agent Steel, Super Joint Ritual, Jag Panzer and Prong to name a few. The biggest influence these shows have had on us is to raise the level of our performance as a group and individually. Each of these bands are great live but they each have their area of expertise. For example, Exodus is really engaging from the fan perspective - they put on a really fun show and for many in the audience, it's a hits review although their newer stuff is amazing both on record and live. Super Joint Ritual have a very heavy impact live. They mean business and demand your attention. Jag Panzer are technicians and each member is hyper-accurate on stage. Resistance strives to bring a little of each of these elements to the stage.

'Lies In Black' was a bit on the short side when you look at the playing time. I must admit that I considered the album as "reasonable", but not more than that. On 'Patents Of Control' you have clearly grown on every aspect. You've kept your own sound, but took it to a higher level. How do you look back on the first album and how do you compare it to 'Patents Of Control'?

Dan: Well, we appreciate your honesty and yeah, 'Lies In Black' is a short album but we meant every note on it and we look back on it fondly. As for 'Patents Of Control', we did grow in our ambition and this is the result of that. I think the albums compare in as much as the lyrics are very meaningful to us but the differences are clear when it comes to performance and production. We went to great lengths to deliver an album that will stand the test of time and we did this out of our collective love of metal.

The album has been unleashed for about a month now (at the time this interview took place). How have the reactions been so far? Most of the reviews I've seen on the Internet so far were much more positive than the reviews on 'Lies In Black'.

Dan:Yes, the reviews have been resoundingly positive on 'Patents' thus far and we feel good about that. We've also gotten a lot of praise from our peers, which is equally important to us.

On the new album you introduce a new guitar player as well. How big was Dave Watson's role in the songwriting?

Dan:Dave did not write anything on this album. We brought him in when the album was nearing completion and he recorded a few solos where we instructed him, and that's all.

Paul: Its funny when I read some of the reviews where they state the guitar team of Luna and Watson and they refer to the quality of the songs and ferocious riffing. To set the record straight, Dan wrote and played every rhythm guitar track on the album as well as 95 percent of the solos. Dave had absolutely no contribution, musically, lyrically, or financially to this album. He was basically a hired gun.

The terms "American Metal" and "US-Metal" are often used to describe Resistance's music. I find this term a bit confusing and one might associate it with the NU-metal trend and bands like Chimaira or P.O.D. or that kind of nonsense. But I think that you want to do the exact opposite; resist against the new trend. In how far can you agree on these points?

Dan:We call it Pure American Metal which is in itself is a bit of an anachronism because America is made up of people and cultures from all over the planet just as our music is made up of many different influences. As for resisting trends or styles, to each his own... we respect anyone who's out there doing it no matter what their style or sound.

Paul:
You are right. We are most definitely not a new metal band. We find that reviewers have a hard time placing us in a category as our music is made up of many different styles of Metal. For that reason we've been told our sound is sort of a hybrid Metal. I think that fits. This allows us to play with any band on the planet. We have never turned down a show in fear of not fitting the bill.

The band's name also fits to the concept of the new record. In a way I think the main character of the story is also resisting in a way; resisting against the cruelty in the world and wanting to provide "the ideal society" as you describe it. Can you tell us more about the concept?

Matt: On this we can agree! 'Patents Of Control' is the story of one mans obsession to provide humanity with the ideal society. Free of crime, hunger, poverty, drug addiction and misery. As an unwanted child he finds solitude in his computer skills and his discovery of the patents of control. As he grows older he develops a string of programs he refers to as Group Order Device (G.O.D.). Under the user name "The Blackheart", he begins his quest to breath new life into humanity through thought and behavioral modification. Unbeknownst to The Blackheart his ideals and obsessions were already being fostered and used by a shadow society from the start. This society later places him into a position of power, as an adult, providing the opportunity to place Group Order Device online with it's own agenda.

As the device's influence spreads via the new age of technological media, The Blackheart begins to see how artificial and one-dimensional the "sheeple" of this new nation have become. He also discovers that he has been secretly used by the shadow society and begins to have doubts as to continuing with "The Group Order Goal" As The Blackheart deals with his conscience, Group Order Device begins to learn and think for herself. The device becomes delusional with it's' program. Seeing betrayal in The Blackheart, it places it's creator in a patents of control induced comatose state know as the hollow.

In an effort to further carry out it's programmed mission and spread its' influence, Group Order Device portrays itself as the second coming of the messiah and begins to view itself as a God. It then begins an aggressive campaign to cleanse society of its ills. Group order device also reveals that it is more then a program and that is in fact an ideal that has unsuccessfully plagued society through history as documented through all the worlds' fallen empires. The ideal of a New World Order with one governing Nation.

With religious beliefs being the influences of most dissentions and wars, the sheeple choose a martyr in The Blackheart who finds the strength to reach out to them from the hollow. Seeing the creation of a New World Order and humanity as a lost cause, Group Order Device sets out to destroy humanity, which is accomplished by taking over all the worlds' computer controlled devices. The story ends with the earth renewing itself centuries later and looks at man's inability to reflect upon history and learn from his mistakes.

How did you come up with the idea to deal with this subject?

Matt: The subject is an old concept but I wanted to add something to that. While searching different subjects on the Internet I came across a web page that listed a group of actual United States Patents for these devices of mind control and human behavior modification. The more I looked into it I discovered that you can't patent anything unless it is an actual working device.

With the thought of these devices actually being real and being used in society I became more intrigued and wondered what they might actually be used for. As I researched them I continually came across these illuminati's or shadow societies. Some being the Free Masons, Skull and Bones, Knights Templar etc.

The more I researched the ideas I had for a story line the more I discovered they were not too far off from actually events and history. Especially the subject of public figure assassinations.

A lot of these secret societies have a link to the Egyptian period, which was one of the great societies of the world. Look at the United States. Our one-dollar bill has the reverse side of the Great Seal of the United States on it. The seal depicts a pyramid being set with the "All Seeing Eye" as a capstone. The Latin phrase "Annuit Coeptis Novus Ordo Seclorum" is written around it. What is its purpose on the Seal of the United States? That's clearly a Free Mason symbol.

We even have and Egyptian obelisk in the middle of our Capitol city, The Washington Monument. Our first president George Washington was a member of the Free Masons as well as most of our founding fathers. It all just kind of made me think

Look at all the great Empires of the world with the idea of a New World Order. Great Societies wiped out and covered by the sands of time. Little is known about them. Where are all of the great societies of today headed? To the same fate or have we learned from the mistakes of those that fell before us? Are we the experiment of some Devine Creator who wipes out whole periods of time until he is able to create an ideal society and get it right? Whose idea of a perfect society is the right ideal? I'm sure mine is different from yours and yours to the next man. As I kept looking into it I wrote down some ideas and thought it would make for a great song which turned into the subject matter for a whole album.

Looking at the concept, I think the cover artwork reveals itself better as well. The angelic figure of the front with shattered wings and a destroyed world on the back gives me the impression that by trying to make a better world, we destroy more. Of course I can be wrong, but in how far do the cover artwork and the lyrical concept go hand in hand?
Dan: Yes, the artwork goes hand in hand with the lyrics. We conceptualized every detail of the album cover and we were fortunate that Rainer Kalwitz, who also did the cover for 'Lies In Black', was able to realize it for us. We also wanted to incorporate the angel symbolism from 'Lies In Black' as well. We also continued the visual concept into the booklet using Illuminati pictures and symbols in its pages. Each set of lyrics is set as a log or diary entry and coded at the top. We thought it would be cool to let people figure out what kind of code was used to head the lyric entry so they could look into it. The code is a common numerical documentation for historical events. We tried to sequence the story lines with some actual historic events that parallel them.

Looking at the global (political) situation in the world and also the US, I think Resistance wanted to bring a political message with the lyrical concept on 'Patents Of Control'.
Matt: That is the funny thing about the whole concept. When I first started writing it I never intended to convey any political messages. I just wanted to write something that made people think, "Hmmm very interesting". As time went on the story just seemed to parallel reality and the ideas I had I discovered were not too far off from events that have actually occurred.

I think people just need to open their eyes and educate themselves. The term "sheeple" in the story line I think hits the nail on the head. As long as people act like sheep there will always be a herd following blindly. A herd of people unthinking and not asking questions can be a very powerful force.

Something different then: Seeing that the US is now one of the biggest providers of a lot of bands that the media wants to sell as "metal", how is the scene for real heavy metal bands? I mean, is it easy for a band like Resistance, or other real heavy metal bands like Zandelle and Pharaoh to get a gig or promotional support from the national press?

Dan: Absolutely not. It's very difficult to get press or promotional support in the US. There are many underground bands like us that have never gotten anything beyond regional recognition. The major labels still rule traditional and specialty the press in America and even the niche labels here tend to focus only on proven successes especially now when the recording industry is in peril.

Paul:
The U.S. is trend driven in every aspect of the music business. We have never been part of the trend. I will leave it at that.

As we talked about at the beginning of this interview, after 'Lies In Black' you did a lot of gigs, but for the new album there is nothing planned yet… or at least, except the gig on Headbangers Open Air in Germany, July next year, there is nothing announced! Is there anything in progress to promote the new album?

Paul:
We will do a few select shows here in the States and are planning a two week European tour to coincide with the Headbanger Open Air in July. So booking agents and promoters can contact me at themetalmachine2003@yahoo.com if you would like to book Resistance. We will also be placing at least one of the new tracks on 'Knuckle Tracks', which is a CD sampler included in every issue of Brave Words And Bloody Knuckles Magazine, which will be coming out in February. Lion Music is also doing an outstanding job of promoting the album.

The kind of music Resistance plays is quite popular in Europe and especially Germany is a fruitful country for metal and for festivals. Just out of curiosity, would you rather concentrate on the European market or the US?

Paul:
We love all of our fans. We just happen to have a few more in Europe.

Well guys, I guess we can "wrap it up" for now. Thank you very much for the your time and if there's anything else you wish to share with us, please don't hesitate…

Paul:
Thanks for the interview and support. We look forward to bringing the Metal Machine to your town.

http://www.resistancemetal.com