Intonation has me tearing my hair out!!

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Trying to track the guitars for my band's first song, and using my EC-400 - I guess it's cuz I've just never been as much of a stickler (and also my riffs rarely involve so many high strings as some of the ones in this particular song), but the intonation is absolutely driving me up the wall on this thing - it's really a matter of having to tune depending on where on the fretboard I'm gonna be playing, cuz it won't stay consistent. I intonated it myself the last time I changed strings about 1.5 weeks ago, and I think I did a decent enough job; is this just inherent to low tunings (C-standard) on a 24.75" neck? CANNOT wait until I get my Ibanez back from the shop!

I know the pain. When I got my used S-series it had been modded (quite nicely, for a change) and made to shred. All except for the intonation change, which he forgot to do before selling it. So after a few days of playing I finally figured out he had done all this work to make it sound really great except change the intonation. Can't quite get it myself, but to be honest I keep on changing strings/trem set up it's all my fault :p

What strings are you using?

I hear ya, all ESP LTD guitars are a FUCKING PAIN IN THE ASS!!!! when it comes down to intonate the (higher) strings
I own one and have exactly the same problem.

Gets a bit better with the nut sauce and oc depends on the string type
but overall it's fucked up. G string and higher = no chance.

What are your screw positions on the bridge?

i've got an ec400 i tune to drop C with and have no issues at all really...the intonation isn't perfect once you get past the 15th fret, but it's as good as one should expect from a $600 guitar

i'm also using 10-52's tho, so maybe that helps a bit?

oddly enough when i first got the guitar i know the intonation on it was giving me a fit...i thought maybe the earvana nut was to blame, but the G string on it just could not sound in tune worth a damn; just to humor myself i replaced that string (even tho i already had a brand new one on it) and the problem was solved instantly...somehow i'd either strung the guitar wrong (which i don't see how that is possible) or gotten a particular string that was defective or something

Drop tuning with an earvana nut complete negates it's purpose. The guitarist in my old band had an EC-400 and never had an issue with it. I did spend over an hour yesterday on an Ibanez V during setup. Put it in drop C, and the F string is just a little bit sharp with the saddle all the way back. :puke:

It does have the Earvana nut, yeah, and I'm using 12-52's in C-standard - it's really the high strings that are giving me grief, but even the lower ones somewhat as well. I'll take it to a shop to get it intonated and see if that helps, I guess...

Intonation will never be perfect, unless you have frets that look like squiggly lines. I always try to make a good balance on where the majority of my playing is done. Remember, string size, nut height, bridge height, drop tuning, etc all affect your intonation.

Yes Metally, but I think the older models had a different nut. My EC-1000, for example, is from the first run and has Sperzel locking tuners, but does not have the Earvana nut. However, it does have the TonePros Locking TOM setup. The recent run has the ESP/LTD branded locking tuners and the Earvana nut.

~006

I've found the Zack Wylde strings to work best for Drop tuning as the higher strings are thinner compared to the heavy ones. Dunno why but it works. Drop B is the lowest I can go, however intonation is far from being perfect, truss rod adjustment, action/height and sattle placement helped quite a bit but still... if 100% is perfect I'd say a shop visit might get you up to 80-85% of a close to perfect intonation.

Maybe try putting the saddles in the ball park then intonating them? I mean there's usually a pattern: The low E saddle is far back then the A saddle is a little closer to the nut than the low E saddle then the D saddle is a little closer to the nut then the A saddle, then the pattern repeats on the G.B, E strings. Kind of looks like two flights of stairs.

Intonation will never be perfect, unless you have frets that look like squiggly lines.

i always wondered how close to perfect that really comes.

LOTF-TTAH.jpg

maybe try a slightly lighter gauge than what you are used to...I have an old 86 ESP Mirage that a tech friend of mine sets up. I also notice when I play higher up in the frets I tend to bend the strings slightly and have the same sort of problem with intonation....I didn't notice I was doing it til recently. I switched from 52's to 10-46's and it seems a bit better now and I use drop C tuning.

i always wondered how close to perfect that really comes.

LOTF-TTAH.jpg

Wow no shit. I wonder how heavy bends sound.... I know fanned frets get the intonation a lot better, but that's taking it as far as you can go....

dunno bout where you are, but here in the ATL both the humidity and temp dropped very quickly. might have impacted your set up, not sure.

on another note, my ESP M-1 used to be really hard to set up. the intonation drove me nuts on that as well. the neck eventually sort of twisted over time, which meant I'd have to refret it to really nail the set up. It now sits in the closet.

on a third note - that caparison looks fuckin' weird. I've never seen anything like that.