IODAcast Metal September

Brooks

Eyes Wide Open
Nov 15, 2001
Bay Area, California
skloid.blogspot.com
I work for a digital music distribution company in San Francisco called IODA, and this month a few co-workers and I put together a special podcast for our Metal September feature.

It features me, Oz, Lord Bathos of SMEGMACHRIST, and a shitload of killer metal from our archives, all for your listening displeasure.

We've got exclusive tracks from Early Man and Toxic Holocaust, and some face melters from Nadja, Slough Feg, Speedealer, Mors Principium Est, and tons more.

It's on iTunes right now--do a search for 'IODACast,' or just click here and check it out! :kickass:

Metal_SeptemberSmall.jpg

How do you get past the licensing issues that come along with including full songs in a downloadable podcast? This is one of the things that's kept my radio show from having it's own legitimate podcast for a couple years. We sort of have one now, but it's just streaming episodes of our show. The way I understand it is that you can do pretty much anything you want as long as the files that contain complete songs are only streaming and not available for download.

That said... cool shit :kickass:

Well, IODA is a music distribution company, so we work with the rightsholders themselves, who put their catalogs in our systems for our global distribution service. They specify which tracks of which artists are considered "Promotracks," which means that we, or any other music marketing service (radio/podcast/review forum) can use those tracks are free giveaways. All of the tracks on our podcast are promotional tracks, as designated by their label/rightsholder.

If you ask a label for promotional songs, then they would likely give them to you to use. But you can't just use any old song for a commercial podcast.

Word!

Yeah, I'm thinking I could just use whatever the hell I wanted from any of the promo cds I get and the labels would be more than happy I'm doing extra work for them haha.