circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Irepress – Samus Octology
Translation Loss Records – TL19-2 – May 29, 2007
By Jason Jordan

irepressso.jpg

Though the date above is nearly a month and a half away, Samus Octology is a re-release, so early coverage isn’t, well, early. I mean, with illegal downloading being a common practice anyway, at least for many, actual release dates aren’t as significant as they used to be. Anyhow…Boston’s Irepress (“pronounced EAR-press”) are an instrumental post-rock quintet that can be compared to fellow instrumental units Pelican, Red Sparowes, Russian Circles, and many more. Overall, however, SO is a good addition to a crowded subgenre, but one must also keep in mind that this first saw the light of day in 2005.

While Irepress weren’t blazing trails two years ago, every song on this debut is good, even if they aren’t quite emotionally engaging like the work of, say, Pelican. Still, the five-piece are accomplished musicians a la Dysrhythmia – especially drummer Shan Dave – and the tracks change constantly, which could turn off some of those who expect simple delightful repetition in their post-rock. The production, nonetheless, is immaculate and everything sounds crisp and clean. In fact, each instrument can be picked out from the mix – a trait absent from most albums I encounter. There’s a decent amount of crunch though, too, like in ‘Samus,’ ‘Snayk’s Tale,’ and ‘A. Frid Ohm / B. Martin Eek,’ lending some much-needed edge to Samus Octology. Also notable is trumpeter Forbes Graham’s (Kayo Dot) guest appearance on the ever-changing ‘Nonografistole Adendum (Trampled to Death by Love),’ which is by far the longest track at nine minutes of the total 45.

Essentially, Samus Octology is a pleasure to listen to, and Irepress’s unpredictable nature does help differentiate them from bigger acts. To be fair, this would’ve made a greater impact had I heard it two years ago, before the deluge of post-rock and Neur-Isis-core really flooded the market, but timing, as they say, is everything. While undeniably a fine effort, those tired of the aforementioned styles will want to think twice before forking over the money.

Official Irepress Website
Official Translation Loss Records Website