IRON MAIDEN Guitarist On Decision To Scale Back Touring:...

Maideneer

Hardly working
Feb 21, 2002
Mariah Carey's panties
Visit site
'We're not gonna kill ourselves'

IRON MAIDEN guitarist Dave Murray spoke to MTV.com about the band's decision to do away with extensive road treks following the completion of their current "Give Me Ed ... 'Til I'm Dead" tour.

In the future, the band will still release albums, but MAIDEN plan to limit their touring to festivals and select stadiums.

"Over the years, we've toured for nine months on every album, and if you add that up it's a lot of time," Murray said. "Maybe it's time to sit back a bit. We're still gonna go out and have fun, we're just not gonna kill ourselves."

Playing festivals will allow IRON MAIDEN to reach the most people in the least amount of time. "People [from all over] tend to gravitate to festivals and spend the weekend there," Murray said. "They make it an event. They camp out for this three-day event, and they get there a few days before and start partying. So by the time we go on, they're excited. The responses we've gotten in those situations are amazing."

The band, who kicked off the North American leg of the "Give Me Ed ... 'Til I'm Dead" tour with DIO and MOTÖRHEAD Monday night (July 21) in Worcester, Massachusetts, are playing a set that consists almost exclusively of the band's singles.

"We're taking stuff from all the albums and putting a set together where the fans will know every song," Murray said. "It's for the old fans and for the new fans, and as soon as we go on and start playing it's like one big sing-along."

Included in the set is the sole new song, "Wildest Dreams", the first single from the band's upcoming CD, "Dance of Death", due in September. "We thought we'd just throw one of the new songs in the middle of the set as a little taster of what's to come and to keep everyone on their toes," Murray said.

"We'll be coming back with the new album and playing a lot of the new songs," Murray continued. "We always try to live in the current. If we just kept doing tour after tour with all the old stuff, it would become redundant because it would mean we were just existing on our past. MAIDEN have always tried to push moving forward all the time."

I don't have much of an opinion on this subject much past the fact that if they don't swing by my area on the next tour then DOD will be the last 18 bucks I spend on Iron Maiden.

I personally think this is a bit sad...since Im still fairly young (18) Ive only seen Maiden twice, they were the band that got me into Metal 6 years ago, and they mean alot to me...
I really feel sad that I probably wont be able to see them live here in Norway anymore...

Of course Im not very reluctant to going to Sweden or maybe even Denmark to see them...but still its something specail with seeing them here...

I think this is good news, it will enable Maiden to have a longer career as they won't burn themselves out so fast. ALso I imagine they'll start spending more time on their albums and may get out of this creative funk they have been in since 89.

Yup, with the amount of festivals in the UK I really can't see them bothering with arenas anymore. As long as I get tickets then Earls Court will be the last time I see Maiden live. There's a small part of me that thinks perhaps I shouldn't go at all. I'll see how I feel next Wednesday morning.

This is their last regional tour - next time you'll have to go share your Maiden experience with 50,000 other fans covered in mud and shit ;) (although maybe that's how it always is in Manchester...?:p)

That's great news for all Aussie fans, because that means we'll get to seem them when they play big metal festivals like....like....umm....DAMMIT ALL TO HELL!