Is a DIY attitude useful for metal musicians?

Dave1978

Nov 23, 2007
Germany
Hi folks, this is a topic wich is hard for me to disucss in english, but I'll try.

I read alot at the moment about how the business has changed, about better not signing contracts with labels, releasing one song per month instead of an album per year, not working for that big bang, rather having fun with being creative and make a lot of people in the internet follow your semi-pro stuff on youtube and so on...

But honestly - that doesn't work in the metal business, does it?

I mean ... metal ist still very conservative and has that larger-than-life attitude. It's about making big albums with great songs, great sound, killer-artwork, sell them on CD and play that shit live and loud, isn't it? Or am I just nostalgic?

Wich path do you guys choose business wise?

1) Spread around some cool demos for years....some of them with really good vocalists on them. Gain a large fanbase that way.

2) Then, after great anticipation, release an album with weird-ass guitar tone and an annoying singer.

3) Get signed.

4) Tour.

Works every time.

What metal will be in the future, no one can tell. Music just evolves in an unpredictable cyclic-type pattern that is determined by about a million factors, like technology, social/political environment, geography, etc...
If every single metalhead started to go the DIY way, I can guarantee you that DIY-way would be the next big thing in metal. But it's not ganna happen this way.
Say it costs from 20 000 to 500 000+$ to record and put out an pro/commercial album, it is obvious that a lot of people are going to go and save the money they can on the process.
The metal attitude was always to be the black sheep, or the antithesis of social trends and sex/drugs/rock and roll and whatnot and I don't think it will ever change, but as far as how you do it, or what it'll look like in the future, I'd just say there's not much you can do besides doing what you think is best given your particular situation.

I feel that a DIY approach is the only option in the modern music business. Do everything you can possibly do yourself and only put your work in the hands of others when absolutely necessary. If you want to make this a career, you have to treat it just like a small business and that's a lot of shit on your shoulders. You will not always profit, but you have to lose money to make money.

By the time you start using contracts you should already be turning some sort of small consistent profit.

Personally, I find the hardest part about the music business is getting people to take it seriously as a business. When I play a show, I'm not there to jack off, I'm there to create long term customers, boost sales for me and the venue, establish a trusting relationship with said venue, and make enough profit so I can get to the next gig.

Most people seem to view bands/artists as worthless jesters that decide to entertain on a whim for their own personal pleasure. It's hard to convey all the behind the scenes work that goes into being a performer. Usually once they start to piece together the whole process, they don't understand why one would submit themselves to such a thing; but that is what separates an artist from a non-artist. I don't understand why one would submit themselves to the hell of typical working class life. There is nothing in it for me, but I have given up everything to pursue the rush of creating and performing music.

1) Spread around some cool demos for years....some of them with really good vocalists on them. Gain a large fanbase that way.

2) Then, after great anticipation, release an album with weird-ass guitar tone and an annoying singer.

3) Get signed.

4) Tour.

Works every time.

:lol: