Is Hippie the first fretless dude in metal?

israel

Bassist Member
Feb 12, 2002
Sao Paulo
Hey Stevie and dudes!

Is our beloved Hippie the first guy to use fretless bass in metal, or do you know someone who used one before him??

I can't remember of anyone now...

Don't know... Perhaps he was the first.

I'm just sure that he was the first to use Lemon Scent and play the foot finger picking style. And the first to admit that dances mambo. (All the metal players dance mambo, but don't admit it)

Don't know if I was the first. Most possibly in 'extreme' metal. I know the fretless I built made it in the studio on Autopsy's 1991 Fiend For Blood. I'm trying to remember if I busted it out before that. I couldn't think of anyone else back then that used fretless in metal. It kinda sucked, no one to compare notes with.

I think there was a bassist in some bay area band that used to play fretless... a black guy who screamed like halford... They played thrashy stuff and were on the heavier side....

This was over a decade ago, and I don't remember the name of the band. :(

I remember they played shows at the Stone though... hmm...

No. And it's been bugging the hell out of me... since I last posted and I just remembered it I think...

Führer?

Anyone remember these guys?

How can you forget Doug Keyser, Watchtower?
Control and Resistance album, in 1987...

so Steve, How did you come up with the idea to play a fretless bass in metal bands?

I didn't come up with it, I always played fretless in jazz...I just kept it going in metal. Basically I loved the sound of it, and snuck it into metal after jazz band practice. I thought it was normal at the time, and then everyone started freaking out about how it's so different. It's really not such a different instrument that everyone thinks it is. It's a variation of electric bass guitar, it's played the same and tuned the same...the real difference is in the ideas of the player. And that holds true for fretted bass, guitar, drums, alto sax, painting, landscape designing, cooking...

I'm proud that I can hold a title of being slightly original in a sea of unoriginality. But it was always there, for me anyway, I didn't think I was setting out to do something original. Bassists I looked up to played fretless already and I was just inspired by the sound that it was capable of making, but it was from the hands of those I looked up to that the sound came from, not the gear.

And so it must be for you, from your ideas, from your hands, from your inner voice. It's not the notes that make you special, but instead your interpretation of those notes in your own way. It's not the trivial detail of the instrument that makes one stand out from dismal obscurity, but rather in the level of interest one can captivate with simple entertainment.

Chew on that.
SDG

And so it must be for you, from your ideas, from your hands, from your inner voice. It's not the notes that make you special, but instead your interpretation of those notes in your own way. It's not the trivial detail of the instrument that makes one stand out from dismal obscurity, but rather in the level of interest one can captivate with simple entertainment.

Chew on that.
SDG

Well put. :worship:

Steve, you've always been a big influence on my playing and I want to thank you for Human, Individual Thought Patterns and the Gathering. When I started playing in my current band Chaos Logic, I knew I needed to go fretless because the music we play is so influenced by those albums, it just fit so well.

PS: I'm also diggin on Dark Hall! :Smokin: