Is it time fo a new interface?

Zerochance

Oct 3, 2013
Hey Peeps:

I've my trusty M-Audio Fast Track Pro for about three or four years now. It's served me well but I think it's about to crap out for good. All of a sudden, it's doing this thing where the volume drops dramatically every time I palm-mute, much like a noise gate with a high threshold except I don't have any gates running; I'm currently plugged straight into the unit.

It does it when I'm just playing and when recording tracks. I've tried different guitars and cables, and it keeps doing it, and it's happening on both input jacks. I've re-installed the drivers and it keeps happening. Any help with this or is it time for a new interface? I've never had any problems with it, this is completely out of the blue.

Thanks!

I do not. I've found that input 2 works a little better than input 1, but it's having the same problem.

If you have a friend who'd be willing to let you try it on his computer, it might be worth a try to rule out anything computer related being the issue. Also, try a different USB cable if you have one around. Have you tried changing the latency/buffer settings? Sometimes having these too low can cause weird audio performance issues too.

If none of that works, I'd say chances are good that its time for a new interface.

It's just that i once had problems with my interface and after a hard drive format it all of a sudden worked again. Then long after that it started malfunctioning again. Now i've had the same interface on another computer with no problems at all. My old computer just tended to screw things up after a while.

OK, figured it out. It was something with Reaper. Tried the interface with GarageBand and it worked fine, so I reset Reaper to factory settings and all is good.