Is Melodic Death dying?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Anyone else notice that the juggernaught that once was melodic death metal, no longer is all that important? I remember just a year or two ago there were countless new melo-death bands, now one rarely sees a new melo-death debut. I know alot of melo-death has seeped into other genres, but i am kinda surprised it didnt make the big breakout it was poised to do.

I hope it's dying, the best melodic death metal was released in the mid-90s.

Melodic death, on the whole, is awful. Occasionally a good band will come along like Vehemence, but on the whole it's just bland Maiden-worship.

I'm not a big fan of some of the more recent melodic death metal. It's too happy and artificial sounding. My favorite melo-death bands (At the Gates, early Dark Tranquillity, Eucharist) are from the mid-nineties period anyways, so it doesn't bother me if it's dying.

It wasn't really ever alive to begin with.

There ARE a few good bands, but most MD bands will be doomed forever to just being "other At The Gates rips".

The more melodic ATG became, the worse they got, methinks. They peaked with the first half of 'With Fear...', then gradually went downhill.

I only have Slaughter Of The Soul. It's not even one of the best melo-death albums I've heard.

Soilwork's 'A Predator's Portrait' owns it.

forest of october said:
I agree, most melodic death bands are just generic carbon copies of one another. Quo Vadis are good, so are Vehemence.

What makes that different from any other metal sub genre?

Worm-Infested Intestinal Tract said:
It wasn't really ever alive to begin with.

There ARE a few good bands, but most MD bands will be doomed forever to just being "other At The Gates rips".

the sad thing is you are right. Everyone worshipped slaughter of the soul and it was the lightest contribution that very great band made to music. Half of the people remain ignorant to their other albums.
Death metal itself has been reduced to the same.
about 10 decent bands and a bunch who ripped off cannibal and morbid. Two bands that were never much to begin with.

Nope. It may be if you are one of those people that thinks that a band has to sound like Soilwork or In Flames to be melodic death. Death metal with melody, can be manifested in many different and creative ways, Vehemence is a great example. Theres a ton of new bands and possibilties to come.

to the original intent of the thread: The dominating pessimist side of me would say it is already dead. The optimist would say it evolved. It seems to have evaporated then redistributed into the likes of metalcore and real death. Bleeding Through, Killswitch, and As I lay Dying, Unearth all have more mojo than the creators of melodeath do at this point. Vehemence took it and made good death metal. I never really saw the maiden worship that many have made claims within the style. If I did, I would say Arch Enemy would be amongst the most guilty of this. The parallel third harmony thing goes all the way back to medieval polyphony. Maiden has that gay freddy mercury riding naked on a horse through the woods type feel that isn't found in the comparison. I dont see Maiden as even a metal band iif we are to consider the state of todays metal. Which I also think is blasphemous to credit Black Sabbath with as well. I am glad to see the end of the clones.

SunlapseVertigo said:
Nope. It may be if you are one of those people that thinks that a band has to sound like Soilwork or In Flames to be melodic death. Death metal with melody, can be manifested in many different and creative ways, Vehemence is a great example. Theres a ton of new bands and possibilties to come.

Such as my standing argument that Arghoslent and Intestine Baalism are melodic death metal. But, the stereotype lies in the "Gothenburg sound". They sure as hell don't sound Gothenburg, and are more easily classified as straight death, but they are still melodic and death metal.

Basically, the melo-death scene never really got much momentum. Now it's being filled up by wimpy emo bands like Darkest Hour and such that think it's the newest thing next to metalcore.