Is Obituary worth checking out?

Under a Stone

Nov 24, 2003
Visit site
i keep hearing about this band that they are one of Death Metal's most important artists and made 2 killer albums but the trouble is that i've never heard any of their albums

I like all of their stuff, I highly recommend 'Cause of Death', it's their best I think.

But definately check-out Obituary. Good solid band. Excellent vocals.

Yeah, Cause Of Death is awesome. Great old school death metal. Slowly We Rot and The End Complete are good too, but I am not that crazy about their other CDs. Get Cause Of Death first.

SuicideMachine said:
you can get both "cause of death" and "slowly we rot" in a nice double package. Its the same price as one cd, so you really cannot go wrong.

I beleive roadrunner are doing the same for suffocation, merciful fate, annihilator and a few others.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I was looking for the Pestilence and Suffocation double CDs in the store but they weren't there.

SuicideMachine said:
you can get both "cause of death" and "slowly we rot" in a nice double package. Its the same price as one cd, so you really cannot go wrong.

I beleive roadrunner are doing the same for suffocation, merciful fate, annihilator and a few others.

I think they also doing Exhoder, King Diamond

Obituary were the greatest death metal band in existence. I even like them more than the highly respected bands Morbid Angel and Cannibal Corpse. They just do good old primal aggression with some atmospheric songs. They sound slower compared to most death metal bands and they dont do blast beats but they still rule. "Slowly We Rot" is just pure insanity with Tardy's inhuman vocals.

That's bullshit, World Demise is great.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
I hate World Demise - all the songs sound the exact same. I think it's the production. And they did a "rap" song on one of the albums that was fucking shit as well.

Yeah, I agree. World Demise is very boring, I must admit! I love Slowly We Rot, though. The vocals are great, and the music is very groovy and has got a cool flow to it! I probably should check out COD too.

MURAI said:
Obituary were the greatest death metal band in existence. I even like them more than the highly respected bands Morbid Angel and Cannibal Corpse. They just do good old primal aggression with some atmospheric songs. They sound slower compared to most death metal bands and they dont do blast beats but they still rule. "Slowly We Rot" is just pure insanity with Tardy's inhuman vocals.

That's bullshit, World Demise is great.

Greatest death metal band in existence?? Come on Murai...better than old schoolers like Carcass, Pestilence, Suffocation, Ripping Corpse and a whole slew of others???

Decayingskull said:
i keep hearing about this band that they are one of Death Metal's most important artists and made 2 killer albums but the trouble is that i've never heard any of their albums

IMHO, the riff at the end of the song "Intoxicated" on SLOWLY WE ROT, is EASILY the heaviest, most skull-crushing riff ever.

Anyone agree?